Intro: Fell down the Rabbit Hole and ended here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the oils available in my cupboard, and I have:

• Almond oil
  • Avocado oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Macadamia nut oil
  • Rice Bran oil
  • Coco butter
  • Shea butter
  • Castor oil
  • Jojoba oil

I read here that coconut can be drying at high amounts. I was thinking about trying something with Almond, Coconut, Avocado, and Shea. Would that be a good mix for a first bar? Or should I try something else?

Thank you for your help!
Kaye

Nope, crisco is soy bean oil. Lard should be in the oil isle but if its not, you might find it in the ethnic isle with the mexican foods or possibly around the meat counter. Its come in a 1lb plastic tub or in a rectangle box, just ask if you can't find it.

Lard is my all time favorite soaping oil. It make a hard, long lasting soap with creamy lather. Here is my go to recipe.

lard 50%
olive oil or avocado oil or rice bran oil 25% (they are similar, no need to use multiple oils when one will work)
coconut oil 20%
castor oil 5%

if you have extra dry skin, lower the coconut to 15% and add 5% to your olive oil.

Nope, crisco is soy bean oil. Lard should be in the oil isle but if its not, you might find it in the ethnic isle with the mexican foods or possibly around the meat counter. Its come in a 1lb plastic tub or in a rectangle box, just ask if you can't find it.

Lard is my all time favorite soaping oil. It make a hard, long lasting soap with creamy lather. Here is my go to recipe.

lard 50%
olive oil or avocado oil or rice bran oil 25% (they are similar, no need to use multiple oils when one will work)
coconut oil 20%
castor oil 5%

if you have extra dry skin, lower the coconut to 15% and add 5% to your olive oil.

Thank you! I'm going grocery shopping tonight, so I'll see if I can find some lard.

I just got back from the dollar store to get tools, fingers crossed I can make a small first batch of soap this week. If I can't find lard this time, is there a good substitute?

I looked at the oils available in my cupboard, and I have: Almond, Avocado, Coconut, Macademia Nut, Rice Bran, Coco Butter,Shea Butter, Castor and Jojoba. ... I read here that coconut can be drying at high amounts. I was thinking about trying something with Almond, Coconut, Avocado, and Shea. Would that be a good mix for a first bar? Or should I try something else?

Hiya Kaye and welcome!

I would be happy to help you formulate with the oils you have on hand, and answer any other questions, if you would please, please, please start a new thread, with the subject in the Title Box, and in the appropriate forum ... so all that valuable information doesn't get lost, as in "buried", in the intro thread. I hope we can agree, "Fell down the Rabbit Hole" is precious! but not exactly what we're talking about at this point, yes? Not to worry... others will jump in with their excellent advice as well.

Thanks bunches!

I haven't made any soap yet. As a celiac I'd really like to learn to make a safe version of this bar for my hair: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalv...-the-hair/shampoo-bars/honey-beer-egg-shampoo.
Knowing me, I may have started way too advanced and should try something more simple for my first soap... but it is good to have goals.

I love Chagrin Valley Soaps! As it happens, I actually duplicated that soap (with a few tweaks, of course) early in my soaping career (in 2004) It makes an awesome shampoo bar! The lather is To-Die-For!!! As I said before, start a new thread and go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, WeaversPort! And to say you've fallen down the rabbit hole is an understatement - there seems to be no bottom to soaping fun!

I've appropriated a few things from around my house now dedicated to soaping:
- small glass votive candle holders that we never used are now little mixing pots for colorants (I do not put soap batter into them, however). I also use one to put my essential oil blend into for the batch.
- hard plastic restaurant chopsticks are now used (and reused) for swirling
- ketchup/mustard picnic set squeeze bottles are now used (although I'm not a fan - tough to deal with if soap thickens up too fast!)
- random plastic bowls/utensils/food containers that are no longer used for food (and lye safe with a #2 or #5 stamped on the bottom)

I found 4.5 cup plastic mixing bowls with a handle/spout at Walmart for $0.88/each shortly after I started soaping a year ago, and also trolled Goodwill for some essentials. It's a good place to find things like stainless steel spoons for mixing lye, stainless steel whisks, etc., all for usually under $1.

Like kchaystack, I use microfiber rags for soaping. I use them to clean up spills and wipe out every soaping container/utensil prior to washing it. Then I put them into a box for a few days so the residual soap batter can saponify, before putting them into the washer like normal.

Anyway, just a few ramblings but good luck with your first batch - and I think it's safe to say it won't be your last. :)

Hiya Kaye and welcome!

I would be happy to help you formulate with the oils you have on hand, and answer any other questions, if you would please, please, please start a new thread, with the subject in the Title Box, and in the appropriate forum ... so all that valuable information doesn't get lost, as in "buried", in the intro thread. I hope we can agree, "Fell down the Rabbit Hole" is precious! but not exactly what we're talking about at this point, yes? Not to worry... others will jump in with their excellent advice as well.

Thanks bunches!

Hi CeeMoor!

My apologies, I got carried away and squirreled all over the subject. I'll get a hang of the forum. Thank you for the welcome and I'll absolutely start a new thread!

Welcome, WeaversPort! And to say you've fallen down the rabbit hole is an understatement - there seems to be no bottom to soaping fun!

I've appropriated a few things from around my house now dedicated to soaping:
- small glass votive candle holders that we never used are now little mixing pots for colorants (I do not put soap batter into them, however). I also use one to put my essential oil blend into for the batch.
- hard plastic restaurant chopsticks are now used (and reused) for swirling
- ketchup/mustard picnic set squeeze bottles are now used (although I'm not a fan - tough to deal with if soap thickens up too fast!)
- random plastic bowls/utensils/food containers that are no longer used for food (and lye safe with a #2 or #5 stamped on the bottom)

I found 4.5 cup plastic mixing bowls with a handle/spout at Walmart for $0.88/each shortly after I started soaping a year ago, and also trolled Goodwill for some essentials. It's a good place to find things like stainless steel spoons for mixing lye, stainless steel whisks, etc., all for usually under $1.

Like kchaystack, I use microfiber rags for soaping. I use them to clean up spills and wipe out every soaping container/utensil prior to washing it. Then I put them into a box for a few days so the residual soap batter can saponify, before putting them into the washer like normal.

Anyway, just a few ramblings but good luck with your first batch - and I think it's safe to say it won't be your last. :)

Thank you for the welcome, and the tour of your procured soaping tools! I'm taking so many notes here, and am dreaming big dreams of soaping.

Little did I know signing up for this forum was only the beginning of the rabbit hole! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back