Intro and a couple of questions... :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaelynn

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a member for a few days but I've been lurking and reading as much as I can about soapmaking and bath/body products. I got interested in this topic originally because I was looking for something to relieve the itchiness of my pregnant belly and it just snowballed from there! My 20 month old son and I both have eczema and I've learned so much about what to avoid and what helps from just reading this forum!

I got some unrefined shea butter as a sample and I'm totally in love!! I know some people aren't keen on the scent (my hubby being one of them) but I adore it!

Sooo....

I've ordered some shea melt and pour base, a few fragrances, some sweet almond oil, unrefined shea butter, coffee butter and beeswax online and managed to pick up some jojoba oil, aloe vera gel and cocoa butter locally. Basically, I'm interested in m&p soaps, lotion bars, body butters and lip balm to start.

First question: I've ordered some lip balm flavoring but while at the local Bulk Barn today I noticed some flavor oils for candy making. Has anyone used those successfully in lip balms? Looking at the ingredients for the Peppermint Flavor oil, all I see is...Peppermint Oil! So I'm guessing that they should work as well.

Second question: In my hunt for an itchy skin remedy, I purchased a butter balm from an online seller. The ingredients are cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter and beeswax. Unfortunately, the balm itself is quite grainy and crumbly and pretty much unusable. I'm wondering if I were to melt it down and add a tsp or so of the jojoba oil that I've bought and then repour it into the tube, would it make it usable? I've read about tempering both shea and cocoa butters...does the graininess indicate that I need to melt it and heat for 20min or so to make sure that the butters are completely melted?

Yikes! Didn't mean to type so much for my first post...thanks in advance for any help with my questions!

I've been so impressed with what I've read here in the last few days...I'm really looking forward to being a member of this community! :)

Karen

Welcome!

First question: I've ordered some lip balm flavoring but while at the local Bulk Barn today I noticed some flavor oils for candy making. Has anyone used those successfully in lip balms? Looking at the ingredients for the Peppermint Flavor oil, all I see is...Peppermint Oil! So I'm guessing that they should work as well. I have not tried candy flavors for lip balms but I *hear* a lot of people do as long as they are oil based and not water based, since oil & water do not mix.

Second question: In my hunt for an itchy skin remedy, I purchased a butter balm from an online seller. The ingredients are cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter and beeswax. Unfortunately, the balm itself is quite grainy and crumbly and pretty much unusable. I'm wondering if I were to melt it down and add a tsp or so of the jojoba oil that I've bought and then repour it into the tube, would it make it usable? It should, depending on how much oil you use. You certainly can play w/ it a bit.

I've read about tempering both shea and cocoa butters...does the graininess indicate that I need to melt it and heat for 20min or so to make sure that the butters are completely melted? That could be one reason for the grainyness, from the ingredient list I would think it is lack of oil that is causing the grainy texture.

Thanks, Tabitha!

I'm going to give the candy flavor oils a try when the rest of my goodies get here. I'm also going to try melting down that balm in my microwave and adding about a tsp of jojoba oil. I can't use it as it is, so if I mess it up no big deal, right? ;)

Thanks again! :)

Welcome! I joined last week as well. I am already learning tons. I am sure some of the more experienced members will be able to help you with the eczema question.

My son has eczema real bad in the winter time, so I have done a little research on how to ease that for him, Evening Primrose Oil is wonderful, but kinda pricey.

That is my 2 cents :D

Melting the balm down and adding a squirt (precise measurement) of jojoba oil did just the trick! No more graininess and the balm goes on nice and smooth! I think my squirt might have been a bit bigger than it needed to be because the stick melts quite quickly in the hand now, but I know for next time! :)

Thanks Tabitha!

Dragonflyprincess: where are you getting your Evening Primrose oil from? and are you mixing it into a lotion, cream or soap? Might have to give that a try depending on how pricey it is. Thanks!

Hi there, fellow canadian, Welcome!

I'm still new at soapmaking and at this forum, but I love it.

Ouch, that is pricey! Are you using very much of it? If you were to make an 8oz jar of whipped shea butter approximately how much evening primrose oil would you add?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for the help! :D

Thanks for the welcome Mare!

Oh, well that's not too bad. Think I can make that do-able.

Thanks dragon! :D

Btw, your avatar cracks me up everytime! :wink:

Back