Interesting thing happened yesterday.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDak

Reaction score
I forgot to dissolve the 1TBL PPO of sugar in the water before mixing with the lye.

So, for the first time ever, I put the sugar in the oil and mixed it all up.

Everything looked fine........I use the double boiler method..........set the flame on simmer so to keep it at a low boil like always.

Set the timer for 10 minutes like ALWAYS before stirring again............came back in from the patio (sipping my whiskey and smoking a big cigar).........and what do I see.....

A HUGE VOLCANO.....everything was ok, stirred it and it went down........but...........

Interesting that not dissolving the sugar in the water would do that.

Which cigar and whisky? [emoji106]

Had it dissolved in the oil before you started cooking? Does it smell any differently than usual? (Thinking caramel smell)

I personally wouldn't have expected that, if I'm honest
Unmolded today...........nothing different then when dissolved in water.

Other than the volcano, it dissolved fine and mixed in fine. (I assume the stick blender put the sugar into suspension and the water/lye actually dissolved it..........but you couldn't actually see the granules in the oil when melting the oils first.)

No smell differences at all.

Just that VOLCANO. :)

ETA: I made another exact batch yesterday.........same oils from the same containers, etc.

Only difference was dissolving the sugar in the water first.

No volcano.

Last edited:
You didn't answer the important question.... cigar and whiskey. Come on man, we need details!

Latest posts

Back