Interesting Results on First Attempt With Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalisk

Reaction score
So, someone told me not to be afraid of lard, so I said "Well I have to get over my irratonal fear of a oil that smells like pork rinds someday!" And threw myself in head first, that and the 'try to soap at RT' thing I was told as well.

So I mixxed up two batches of oils for 2 diffrent soaps, and even master batched lye for the first time.

I made the lye, mixxed it good, placed it in some cool water, headed out to dinner after mixxing oils and all that good stuff, came back 3 hours later to 120 degree Lye water O.O "Oh well" I thought, "If I use cold water + 120 lye water (to make the recepe proper) it will even out the temprature some."

Pour the water, mix well and BEHOLD 110 Degree water o.o WTH oh well, the oils were not well mixxed either so I heated them up to 110 as well and figure Ill play with RT oils another day.
ONWARD!

The first thing we did was a basic Recipe of mostly OO,CO,PO and I added in some grape seed, and sunflower just because I havent used them before becayse......SCIENCE! \o/

THe coloring (again) did not come out quite right, mainly (I think) Because I mixxed the white with the oil, mixxed the colored oil with the oil/lye mixture and BEHOLD! Nasty puke orange with a slightly darker puke orange spots!

(I also added pumice to this one)

Pic 1:
It cracked on the top as you can see, and had some odd colorations, but on the whole it smells right, and only time will tell about its 'soapyness' is passed the zap test, and is currently drying.

Pic 2: (For humor) BEHOLD MY MASTERY OF HAND CUTTING SOAP!:shock:

THe second batch (The one with lard) was a entirely diffrent beast all togeather. I dont know what happened for sure but I have a strong suspicion I know.

Pic 3: These little bubbles appeared on the top. They were shiny and such so I took a paper towel to them to see what would happen.

Pic 4: The result was some sort of fluid (I touched it bare finger, no burn, not bold enough to lick it :p) that made me curious. My thought is that there was some FO left in the cup that I shook into it last minute and tried to blend in with a chopstick :?

Pic 5: Other than that it looks REAL pretty, a matte white and the pink came out perfect, the smell is great too!

Pic 6: until I cut it up and found another enigma, these spots here were clear, they smelled fine, didnt zap me either, but were also a bit warm. Not hot, but not room temp either, like it was finishing Gel almost 24 hours later O.O

Final pic: Though these by far, I think are my prettiest soaps to date. Too bad its a 'girly' smell that I will likely only try once or twice.

Next "Real" batch slated for Thurs or Fri of next week (getting in PKF that I wanna work with and some other goodies like micas and other stuff)

Going to do a 6-8 oz batch for the room mate who wants a 0 super fat and 100% CO bar with pumice for got knows what reason :p

20140523_200621.jpg

20140523_201259.jpg

20140523_200207.jpg

20140523_200346.jpg

20140523_201822.jpg

20140523_202613.jpg

20140523_203022.jpg

Why the pumice? And the only thing I would use a 100% CO bar with 0 SF for is laundry. (Actually, I've been planning on making some stain sticks that way. I'm just in no hurry because I still have the last of the store bought I've been using for it, and I rarely have stains to use stain sticks on.)

If they're planning on using that bar on themselves? Whoa nelly you need to kill that idea right now. The CO is so stripping once saponified that it'll tear up their skin.

pic 6 looks like glycerine rivers from TD (assuming you used some). it doe`s no harm. it`s just an aesthetic thing...

very pretty soaps!

and I agree with the 100% CO with pumice soap. I get REALLY dry hands when I use it to hand wash things. I can`t imagine using it on the rest of my body. does your roommate want to sear off a layer or skin or something? curious to know what they`re going to use it for.....

I used to cut horribly like that, until I asked Santa to bring me a mitre box for Christmas (one of those cheap yellow ones from the hardware store). another thing you can get fairly cheap to help with uniform cutting is a cheese cutter.

Last edited:
See, the problem with that whole 'rethink the soap' thing is he READS these forums, he sees your warnings, and asks me (Almost daily) to make him his soap. I figure if it turns him into a mummy with no skin, he will learn his lesson.

I really like the white and pink one, the orange one not so much but it smells really nice.

And yes TD was in both of the soaps. How do we avoid it, because other than that its real pretty.

And I asked santa for a tank cutter, it should be here in 3-5 weeks. Santa works fast in my house :D

LOL - well, guess you`ll have to report back if he has any skin left or if the soap made it all flake off.

as far as TD, there were a few threads recently about how to avoid glycerin rivers. for me personally, it`s to let it sit in distilled water for a LONG time (like, set that up first before starting to measure oils and such). I still get the rivers, but..i`m no professional

When you try too many new things at once, it's difficult to troubleshoot exactly what the problem is. The spot are definitely NOT gel. Gel doesn't occur in spots like that.

Well, by new I ment new recipe, and new process. Lard was the new stuff, passed zap (even licking the clear spot by itself o.o) so I think its just the river thing :)
But for the future ill try to lower my 'new stuff' :D

Its possible the spots are from the scent not getting stirred in enough. One of my first soaps had green spots of FO. The crack most likely is from slight overheating. Both are purely cosmetic and won't affect the soap.

Your lard soap looks great. Glycerin rivers are a problem for me too. The best way I've found to stop them when using titanium dioxide is to prevent gel by refrigerating the soap for a few hours.
The little bubbles on top could have been the scent coming to the surface. If it happens again, wait and see if they soak back into the soap.

Thank you Obie! :D
The whole 'room temprature soaping' was new to me especially after waiting so long for my lye to cool and it didnt lol

Latest posts

Back