Interesting Observation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soap fairly cool...100 or less, never insulate {could be the thickness of my wooden molds because they gel everytime unless I put them in the fridge}, never spritz, never cover, and have not used distilled since one month after I started roughly 3 yrs ago...no ash most of the time...would be nice to finally nail the ash issue down tho eh?

I'd also like to say to those who are afraid to use tap water..city or well...I'd say jump off in there and try it..you try every other kind of liquid...water is just a liquid ;) Make a small batch and see what happens...a new adventure! hehehe

I've never once used distilled water. I have well water so I figured that it is pretty close to rain water as I have no added chemicals to affect the soap. I could be completely wrong on that, but it's also cheaper than buying water.

I do occasionally develop ash. However, most of my ashy soaps were of an old recipe with a higher water content than the recipe/water discount I'm using now. Perhaps that also has something to do with it?

The alcohol spray seems to make a difference for me. I also found that I got a lot of ash when I used shea so I stopped using it and switched to cocoa butter.

Of course your soaps!!! They're clean and neat with crisp looking lines, nice pictures, and simple elegance. I've tried fancy stuff and I am always so attracted to a simpler more elegant soap over the fancy things. They look great, and ESPECIALLY excellent considering how new you are.

Why thank you so much, that makes me feel so good! I also am more attracted to the simple, more natural looking soaps over the fancy ones so that is what I try to make. I still have lots to learn and so happy I have this board of wonderful people to help me along the way.

Latest posts

Back