Interesting list of ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I found this while shopping for organic bulk cocoa butter. Is this basically a coconut soap with the butters added as superfats?

We could perhaps help if we could see a picture or ingredientlist? :):mrgreen:

Unless it is HP soap, adding cocoabutter (or any other butters) as a superfat after the other oils won`t affect which oils becomes the superfat, as long as the lye is active it will take whatever oil it wants, wether it is cocoa or shea or anything else:)

Whoops!! Sorry about that!!! I think I had a distraction while I was posting.

"Luxurious Coconut soap made with coconut cream. This bar is the most moisturizing of all our soaps. It has a nice, rich lather, and leaves you skin soft, clean, and silky. It is a favorite of many for washing the face.

Ingredients:
Saponified Virgin Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Cream, Mango Butter and Natural Shea Butter. No fragrances and no additives."

Sounds lovely! If I were going to try to make that, I'd do something like this:

70% coconut oil
10% cocoa butter
10% mango butter
10% shea butter
Coconut cream as my liquid, or at least part of my liquid.

And I'd super-fat it at 15%.

I actually make a similar soap from time to time, using 70% coconut oil and 30% mango butter superfatted at 15%. It's a nice variation on the theme of the 100% CO/20% S/F soap.

IrishLass :)

Well, if it's hot processed then yes, it's coconut soap superfatted with butters.

If I were using coconut cream, I would use it in place of some of my water, but add to oils so it doesn't burn in the lye water.

Coconut cream is simply a more concentrated coconut milk. (now coconut butter or manna...different thing)

70% coconut oil
10% cocoa butter
10% mango butter
10% shea butter

I actually make a similar soap from time to time, using 70% coconut oil and 30% mango butter superfatted at 15%. It's a nice variation on the theme of the 100% CO/20% S/F soap.

Is it as lovely as a high lard soap? For example...if the CO were subbed with lard?

I would love to try a 15% sf, but have been afraid, due to possible DOS...

Is it as lovely as a high lard soap? For example...if the CO were subbed with lard?

If you subbed in lard for the coconut, it would not be as super bubbly, I'm afraid. However, if you subbed in lard for the butters, now we're talking! I've not ever tried lard with the high CO/high S/F formula, but I think that's a soap formula worth trying ..... 70% coconut and 30% lard with a 15% super-fat. I'm going to try it out!

narnia said:
I would love to try a 15% sf, but have been afraid, due to possible DOS...

Actually, high super-fats don't necessarily contribute to DOS. The biggest culprit of DOS is having a high percentage of oils/fats in your formula that have short shelf-lives, i.e., those that are high in linoleic and linolenic acids, such as hemp, canola, soy, etc.., and/or oils/fats that are past their prime or rancid.

But do choose your oils/fats wisely when using a high superfat, for the higher you go on the superfat, the more your soap's lather and hardness will be affected. The only soaps that I use a high super-fat with are soaps made with unusually high amounts of coconut oil, because coconut oil is a very shelf-stable oil and also a very bubbly oil. It produces a very shelf-stable, hard, super bubbly bar even with a 20% super-fat. And the high superfat also helps to buffer it's super cleansing/drying effects.

70% coconut oil
10% cocoa butter
10% mango butter
10% shea butter

Thank you! I plugged in these numbers on soap calc and got:

hardness: 71
cleansing: 47
conditioning: 21
bubbly: 47
creamy: 24

From what I understand....this would make a super-hard bar that is super cleansing and very low conditioning with tons of bubbles? So is that why you would SF at 15%? And would that off-set these numbers?

Yup, that's exactly the reason. I like to think of the "cleansing" attribute on SoapCalc as actually being "stripping". So that soap would strip your skin of its natural oils and then put back on oils with the high superfat.

ETA: the high superfat will also reduce the bubbles... but it's still going to be a very bubbly soap.

Thank you! I plugged in these numbers on soap calc and got:

hardness: 71
cleansing: 47
conditioning: 21
bubbly: 47
creamy: 24

From what I understand....this would make a super-hard bar that is super cleansing and very low conditioning with tons of bubbles? So is that why you would SF at 15%? And would that off-set these numbers?

Yes to all of the above. :) It makes a super bubbly, super cleansing bar, but the high super-fat is the trick that makes it pleasant for me to use on my body, without it diminishing any of the super-bubbliness.

Yes to all of the above. :) It makes a super bubbly, super cleansing bar, but the high super-fat is the trick that makes it pleasant for me to use on my body, without it diminishing any of the super-bubbliness.

Thank you! From what I have been told, I was under the impression that I should keep CO down to around 15% or less for mature or sensitive skin. So, I have been doing that, and increasing the SF to 8, 10, and 15% and getting soft, spongy bars of soap.

I will try making higher CO soap with higher SF. I think that should help with the hardness and the sponginess...

Thank you! From what I have been told, I was under the impression that I should keep CO down to around 15% or less for mature or sensitive skin. So, I have been doing that, and increasing the SF to 8, 10, and 15% and getting soft, spongy bars of soap.

if you were using around 15% coconut, you really only needed 5%-8% SF at most.

Since I don't have any mango butter, how would this work? Would it be just as nice? would this be good for dry skin?

70% coconut oil
15% cocoa butter
15% shea butter

Goat milk as my liquid
super-fat it at 15%.

OK, so Narnia, I'm really confused by your posts.

Again, not to sound disrespectful, but in some of your threads you sound like a newbie. In other threads you sound like someone's who's experienced in soap and lotion making. What gives?

Went back through posts since you joined, and wonder if you're someone's insider. Mods, please check this out?

Last edited:
OK, so Narnia, I'm really confused by your posts.

Again, not to sound disrespectful, but in some of your threads you sound like a newbie. In other threads you sound like someone's who's experienced in soap and lotion making. What gives?

Went back through posts since you joined, and wonder if you're someone's insider. Mods, please check this out?

Thank you! LOL! That is very funny that I could sound experienced in any of these areas. If I do at all, it's due to all the helpful people on this forum having taught me so much! And I have been studying as much as possible, but there are a lot of gaps! So, I am a newbie who has learned a lot in some areas in a very short time!

BTW...what is "someone's insider?"

Thank you! LOL! That is very funny that I could sound experienced in any of these areas. If I do at all, it's due to all the helpful people on this forum having taught me so much! And I have been studying as much as possible, but there are a lot of gaps! So, I am a newbie who has learned a lot in some areas in a very short time!

BTW...what is "someone's insider?"

LOLOL!

Sorry, I just found this really funny for some reason!

I can relate I have to say ... I seem to know a heap about some things and bugger all about others. I probably sound like an experienced newbie too ;)

Latest posts

Back