Interested in making salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmccauley

Reaction score
I have seen many people out there mention salt bars. Does anyone have a good recipe that is tried and true, and if so, would you be willing to share? I would like to try these the next time that I have a day off. Also, do you use sea salt or iodized salt? These look very interesting and would make great Christmas presents (did I just mention Christmas?? It is coming so fast).

Thanks
Soap boy

Is there a reason why coconut is the norm? My skin does not seem to like coconut, and I too would like to try a salt bar!

Thank you for the quick replies. Is it critical to use sea salt, or can others be substituted (ie, table salt, epsom salt or kosher salt)? And, should the salt be fine or course?

I use table salt (Diamond Crystal brand, it's a finer crystal). Some recommend non-iodized but I've never noticed a difference so I use the iodized (that way I never run out in the house LOL)

hey soap boy
you can use every salt; but you're supposed to stay away from dead sea salt. seems that soap made with that is often (not always) not working out.
also iodized salts are not recommended, as iodine frequently causes: irritation when it comes in contact with (small) cuts or injury's
rash, itching.
so, if you are just using the soap for yourself and you know you are not sensitive to it, that's okay, but better not on other people.
dagmar

Thank you so much for the info. I have very sensitive skin, so I will not be using Iodized salt. I think that I will try the Epsom salts since they have benefits of helping reduce swelling. I think this will be a very good Christmas present. I have read in many places that you have to cut these bars earlier than with other CP soaps. There seems to be a rather big window for this, 4-12 hours. I should cut when it fells relatively hard, correct? This will stop it from breaking.

digit said:
SimplyE said:
cdwinsby said:
If you would like a recipe for a salt bar you can use this one - http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/soap-recipe-salt-soap.html

This is a great site! Is it yours??? Thanks for the info on the CO. I have been using babassu and just recently PK for a substitution. I will try it!
I am certain it is her site. It IS a great info/ref/instructional site!!

Digit

Thanks for the compliments guys....and yes it is my site...an all consuming project that will probably never end. I enjoy making the site just as much as making the soap!!

mjmccauley,
Careful using the epsom salts. I've never used them myself but I have heard reference to them not working in soap. You might want to do a little bit more research first...try asking if anyone has used epsom salts in soap bars before on as many forums as possible. Hopefully someone here will have some experienced answers.

About cutting the bars. Yes you can cut them earlier and some recipes must be cut within hours of making. I have to leave mine for about 10-14 hours before cutting because the soap is too soft. Once you make the soap check it every few hours. Just gently press your finger to it and when it feels firm but not squishy, cut it. Don't wait until it is hard. Good luck..I really like the salt bars...then again, I like all soap! :D

cdwinsby - Thanks for the advice. I will try the first bars with sea salt. Thankfully there is a Penzey's spice store just down the street where I can get the sea salt by the lb. Hopfully by the end of the week I will have my first bars made.
soap boy

salt bars

what a fabulous site! soap-making-essentials, great job! love the creative soap decorating. i've found so much inspiration...no more one color soaps!

Not sure if there are any extra "benefits" to a salt bar as opposed to a regular handmade soap bar. I think like most formulas, it's really a matter of textile preference. A salt bar is extemely hard and feels almost like a polished stone when you wash. Silky like.

Back