Insurance who do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglizards

Reaction score
I am hunting for insurance for selling soap, in the USA, at events.

Can any of you share recommendation FOR or against any particular carriers you use- and why?

I did try to search, but after a couple hundred with no specific carriers mentioned I thought I;d try a new thread.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

HSMG - not the cheapest, but no sales cap. www.soapguild.org
Same here, for other reasons such as no questions asked and the no sales cap. If this is for Farmer's Markets, craft fairs etc many times the event planners have insurance available as a one time or a yearly policy, what you have to watch out for is not buying a policy that is only going to cover the event you are attending. I know the production company that hosts my most of my markets has insurance available at a much lesser cost, but it only covers liability and their own markets. I know a lot of vendors that use this insurance, but I think they have a cap. http://www.rlicorp.com/Products/IBP/agent.asp. The only thing I am unhappy with with the Guild Ins is the exclusion of mold. Their policy will not cover mold issues.

Last edited:
If you're just starting out, I recommend RLI but they have a 5K annual sales cap. If you exceed that, HSMG or the Indie Beauty Network.

Ok, with RLI, what category do you select? Or do you have to get a custom quote? I didn't see a specific category for bath or body stuff. I saw candle making and crafting and for selling cosmetics or products made by OTHER people...

I just bought a policy with rli. I paid $160, all paid up front for an annual policy. While I'm not selling, I feel better giving out what I make with it. If you are starting out small, rli is a great starting point, imo.

Jeanea, I will be opening a little online store for my soap. I got RLI insurance for $220 for the year. Great price.

Jeanea, I will be opening a little online store for my soap. I got RLI insurance for $220 for the year. Great price.

Well I got the smallest policy, knowing that if I need to go up I can, I expected it to be doubled, so it's good. You got a good price too.

My RLI was about $150 for a base policy. I sell casually only and sometimes donate soap to fund raisers. If you become a volume seller (in excess of 5K per year), you'd need something else.

Back