Insulation box

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I am thinking about making a gelling box out of insulation board. Has anyone else ever did this before? I have enough insulation to make a few different size boxes based on my mold sizes. I am going to make the boxes close fitting so that it keeps it doesn't waste any heat to unnecessary space.

Any thoughts?

I am thinking about making a gelling box out of insulation board. Has anyone else ever did this before? I have enough insulation to make a few different size boxes based on my mold sizes. I am going to make the boxes close fitting so that it keeps it doesn't waste any heat to unnecessary space.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works. Would be a better alternative than trying to rebuild cardboard boxes like I do.

Sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works. Would be a better alternative than trying to rebuild cardboard boxes like I do.
I'm just going to use duct tape to hold it together. I'm really hoping that it will work better than heaping towels on it.

My neighbor gets omaha steaks delivered, he gave me the styrofoam insulation cooler they come in. Heavy duty compared to what the sell in grocery stores in summer. I found it creates a humid environment and while soap does keep heat and gel, it also lends to a wetter soap. I prefer keeping it in the oven for lightly scented soaps, or under towels for strong scents.

My neighbor gets omaha steaks delivered, he gave me the styrofoam insulation cooler they come in. Heavy duty compared to what the sell in grocery stores in summer. I found it creates a humid environment and while soap does keep heat and gel, it also lends to a wetter soap. I prefer keeping it in the oven for lightly scented soaps, or under towels for strong scents.
I am actually putting a small vent in mine to help keep the moisture down. It is a bag of silica beads to help control moisture.

I am actually putting a small vent in mine to help keep the moisture down. It is a bag of silica beads to help control moisture.

I would think you would want to vent out of the lower portion some were to help keep the heat in. I like the Idea. I've done the same for a 3d printer and wondered about it.. Let us know how it works. I'm still just using saran wrap, cardboard lid, towel, heating pad and then second towel. I've had really good luck with this combo.

I used insulation board to turn one of those inexpensive white shelving units with doors into a gelling cabinet. I set the shelves fairly close together, lined the spaces with insulation board on the back, sides, bottom, and top with a sixth loose piece for the front that the door would hold in place. It always worked well for me but got left behind when we changed houses and I've procrastinated on bulding a new one ever since. Right now I'm just using the heavyweight foam coolers.

I have to say that I did try a cooler that had a foam inner and a plastic outer layer. I found that it kept the heat in too much! It takes a while to work out exactly what suits your climate, your recipes and your soaping room.
I'm going to get one of those boxes when I can but I am going to still make one too.

My temperature gun has an attachment that plugs into the gun and you can use it just like a probe on a meat thermometer. It is called a k-type thermocoupler but the difference is that you can measure the air temperature as well as an internal temperature.

I am going to make a hole for it in the styrofoam and push it in, so that I can monitor the ambient temperature. My hope is that it will at least give me a rough idea of how hot it is inside the box without having to open the box and lose any of the built-up heat.

I used insulation board to turn one of those inexpensive white shelving units with doors into a gelling cabinet. I set the shelves fairly close together, lined the spaces with insulation board on the back, sides, bottom, and top with a sixth loose piece for the front that the door would hold in place. It always worked well for me but got left behind when we changed houses and I've procrastinated on bulding a new one ever since. Right now I'm just using the heavyweight foam coolers.
I like that idea also.

Latest posts

Back