Insulated cooler?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be a good idea to use an old insulated cooler as a “saponification chamber”? Seems like it would certainly insure that the soapwould heat through. Another quick question-should I treat my bamboo soap cutting frame with Boos Oil so that it won’t dry out and cracker is that not a problem?

Yes, I think you could use the cooler to cover your soap and promote gel. I think there's a few here who do similar. Although, if you haven't tried just covering the soap with a box and a couple towels, I would try that first. My thinking is that you might not need that much insulation and risk over heating.

Regarding your cutter... I'm not sure that bamboo is strong enough for cutting soap - but I guess I can't really say for sure because I don't know what a bamboo soap cutting frame is.

Well, I learned, the hard way, that more heat is not always better.

I made a batch of lily of the valley soap and a batch of minty menthol. Put them into my “super chamber” and both cracked right down the mididle. Fortunately, thanks to some EverClear and Saran Wrap, I was able to eliminate those pesky cracks. I went back to a box and towel. Whew! Methinks you are right on. Don’t think I need that much heat for sure!

Bamboo cutting boxes are just like any other wooden soap loaf cutting device except they are made of bamboo.) Just don’t know if I should be treating it as I do my wooden cutting boards. I know, with any wood, it is important to not let them dry out or they tend to crack. I don’t want my loaf cutting box to crack.

Heat required depends on your recipe (including the lye concentration%), your additives, you FO, your ambient temperature and the temperature you soap at.

If you work this all out for winter it will change in summer unless you have a constantly airconditioned soaping area.

Many thanks! There are so many things to consider-far more than I imagined but, saying that, this is turning into a wonderful “journey.”

Being new to soaping, I so appreciate the depth of knowledge and willingness to share your expertise. Many many thanks! This is a new adventure but one that makes me feel like I have found my niche! Thank you!

Floral FO's are notorious for speeding up and heating a batch.
Also research menthol a bit because there are a few posts here that says it overheats as well.
You might do exactly the same thing with another FO and it will not overheat. You can ask here if you want to tell us your oils and additives and your process. It is such a pain because it really does require trial and error for your soap and the microclimate of your soaping room.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had done two other batches with my “saponification chamber” with no problems! First time, I had worked with menthol so I now know not to use the chamber for that! Even with the trial and error, I absolutely love this!

I use a cooler like this and a larger one as well. I live Northern. I couldn't get my temps right with cardboard and towels. The soap would either over heat or partial gel. I tried the cooler and it has worked great for me both winter and summer.

Attachments

• cooler.jpeg
    cooler.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 3
Bamboo cutting boxes are just like any other wooden soap loaf cutting device except they are made of bamboo.) Just don’t know if I should be treating it as I do my wooden cutting boards. I know, with any wood, it is important to not let them dry out or they tend to crack. I don’t want my loaf cutting box to crack.

I have one and it does have a varnish finish. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned with untreated wood of any kind.

I use a cooler like this and a larger one as well. I live Northern. I couldn't get my temps right with cardboard and towels. The soap would either over heat or partial gel. I tried the cooler and it has worked great for me both winter and summer.
This is the one Ihave been using. I can put in six loaves.

Attachments

• A6649D3D-F0AF-4B45-8C74-4624D98D9EC5.jpeg
    A6649D3D-F0AF-4B45-8C74-4624D98D9EC5.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
This is the one I have been using. I can put in six loaves.
I found when I put more than one loaf in at a time I had over heating due to the amount of heat generated. So now one loaf at a time (as I am only making 2 lb batches at a time it works). It works well for me.

This is the one Ihave been using. I can put in six loaves.
I only use a polystyrene box (no plastic layer on the outside) because everything else I tried (other than the oven - but my new molds don't fit in the oven) overheated.

In winter I cover the box with a doona and in the summer I don't.

Before the kitchen remodel I had a mold that would not fit in the small oven we had. I just wrapped it in three beach towels and set it on top of the dryer in the laundry room. Voila! Never a problem. I don't know if it matters but I live in the south and the A/C is on 24/7 from somewhere in April or May at least until October. Never a problem in the winter with only a couple of lower temp weeks.

Yes it does matter!
We don’t have air conditioning and the winter heating doesn’t get to my soaping room (the laundry) so it can get down to 12*c (53*F) in winter and hotter than 35*c (95*F) in summer.
Some days I think I use the insulated box to keep the heat out!

Latest posts

Back