Instant mashed potatoes?!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loran

Reaction score
So I wanted to make some soap for Christmas gifts for family so I started now so they could be ready in time, got green and red colors and started. I decided to use a whisk to keep it from getting too thick for swirls. Used 50% lard, 25% alvocado, 20%CO, 5% castor. Mixed the oils and lye and all was well, then I added cinnamon bark oil. Within SECONDS everything turned into mashed potatoes! Was it the EO?? Were my oils to hot? Oil was 120* and lye was 110*. Oh this literally ruined my evening!!😡😡😡😡😡

Attachments

• A6BD87A4-8401-4BFB-A054-841D5F6F6246.jpeg
    A6BD87A4-8401-4BFB-A054-841D5F6F6246.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10
It was the cinnamon EO. Most spicy EOs will accelerate quite badly.
How much did you use? Cinnamon is a skin irritant and needs to be used at a low amount.

The batch called for .8 oz EO per SMF soap calc, yes I used just that one EO. Aaaaaaannnnnnddd I threw the batch in the trash! I wish I read this before, but I was concerned the lye wasn’t thoroughly mixed how it looked, and figured it wasn’t safe to use I took a glance I. The trash and I’m not digging that out of that mess🤣🤣🤣. Wow I never seen an acceleration like that before! I think I’ll just stay away from anything cinnamon related and use peppermint for the holiday soap. Thank you for your responses y’all! I’ll try again here after an episode of Game of Thrones. Maybe I’ll be calm by then 😊

Ok I am getting ready to try the Christmas soap again, I’m going to use peppermint this time. I used it before in a M&P. Will it work good in CP? The recipe asks for .8 oz, could I use maybe .1 or .2 of it with that cinnamon bark without any acceleration repercussions?

Any cinnamon EO - bark or leaf - will contain eugenol, which will accelerate your soap and irritate your skin if you use enough to smell the scent. Most folks who want the cinnamon smell use an FO. Sorry ☹️

I would not use cinnamon bark for any product used on the skin. Tisserand and Young in Essential Oil Safety say 0.07% max in skin products due to the high risk of sensitization. That tells me it's not an EO I want to use in soap or lotions.

Cinnamon leaf EO also carries a risk of sensitization. E.O.S. recommends 0.6% max use on skin. Better, but that's still awfully restrictive. I'd avoid this one too, IMO. As AliOop suggested, a fragrance oil may be a better behaved and safer choice.

Cinnamon or clove EO is gonna accelerate, no matter whether you use the EO alone or in a blend.

Back