Inspired by Zany's Palm Olive

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Like the title says this recipe was inspired by this recipe.

Zany's Palm olive

I wanted to make an incredibly mild, silky, conditioning type bar and this is what I came up with. The numbers in the fatty acid profile are less than desirable but I am just looking for some input so I can tweak it a bit. I plan to add salt for hardness and sugar to boost lather. Will this recipe work?

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (3).png

Let me know your thoughts, also I have white kaolin clay, sodium lactate, feaux sea water, and several types of cooking salt. Which one should I use and how much salt and sugar PPO? Let me know how I can I make this work. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Oh my. Outside of the title, I see no resemblance of your formula to my Palm Olive. My advice, if you haven't already done so, make a 1 lb batch of the Palm Olive first to see how you like it.

Then make the batch as you've written. While it's highly conditioning don't expect much lather or cleansing. It might not even rinse off well with the 5% unsaponified oils. Be prepared for a long trace time; long time in the mold before unmolding; another wait before you can cut; and I would expect a 2-3 month cure. In other words, too many soft oils and not enough coconut for a good balance.

That being said, I could be totally wrong. I've been surprised before. You could have a winner there -- think 100% olive oil castile with a very low INS Value but lathers well and cures hard as a rock. Ya just nevah know how soap will turn out until you try it.

I'll be interested to read what others have to say... 🤔

Do you need the 5% safflower? Why not add that to the CO to make it up to 10%. It will still be a mild soap with so little CO. With a high-ish oleic content I would reduce the superfat as Zany suggested - maybe to 2 or 3 %, and the faux sea water will help keep the slime at bay. Use sugar at 1 teaspoon per pound of oils and make sure it is fully dissolved before adding your lye. Also keep stirring well after adding lye otherwise you can end up with 'toffee' on the bottom of your lye solution.
Good luck - let us know how you like it.

So I decided to change it a bit based on y'alls suggestions. I think this looks a bit better. I just wanted to try this because I have never made a very low cleansing soap and I just wanted to see what it would feel like.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

I put them in my last post but here they are again.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Also I got my hands on some real sea water and I plan to replace the water with that and as I mentioned adding sugar as well. Will this one be slimy? Should I lower the superfat? Just let me know what you all think.

1BAD8203-A79D-44D3-AF5B-88CC584204EE.jpeg

Okay pics as requested. It traced incredibly quick, I think it was the fragrance as I had planned on doing a nice colorful swirl but it turned into a real plop plop situation, even ended up with some air holes where it didn’t settle in the mold.

It’s kinda soft and ever so slightly crumbly but I think it will hold up fine after the cure.

Used the revised recipe with filtered sea water at 1.7:1 ratio to help reduce slime and added a tsp of white sugar to help boost lather. It didn’t seem to overheat at all from the sugar as I insulated it in a cooler.

I’ll let you all know how it performs in a month!!!

Back