Inserting Wick After Candle Has Set

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Mama

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently started exploring candles and made my first pillar candle yesterday. The (aluminum) mold that I use has a removable metal skewer that attaches through the bottom of the mold. I was very confused initially as to where to attach my wick but it seems that with this system the wick is only inserted into the mold AFTER the candle has set.

I made the candle, inserted the wick with ease but am at a loss as to how to fix it. As it is now it just slides up and down. I've scouted the web for any feedback but nowhere can I find any info on these particular types of molds.

Appreciate any words of wisdom you can throw my way ;)

I think that a pre-waxed wick with a tab on the bottom is what is supposed to be used for this type of mold.

Like lsg said, you can use a tabbed wick, however, most wicked tabs are only 6" and I make candles that are taller than that, so I used spooled wick that I prime myself, and for pillars never tab (although you can certainly tab the wicking yourself if you feel comfortable with doing so)

What I do is prime the wick so it's easy to put into the hole left by the wick pin, and then warm the bottom, and sort of push the wick up into the warmed wax. It's hard to describe and would be better to show pics but I'm at work and don't have the pics here to post.

Honestly what I would do, is get rid of the wick pin, and just use spooled wax in the first place and then you won't have to worry about it.

Back