Input on recipe needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumabrew

Reaction score
Hey Y'all

Going to make my first batch of doggie shampoo bars.

Here is my planned recipe. Please give me any input, Ive never made a pet soap/shampoo bar ever.

Thanks

Coconut oil - 30%
Palm Oil - 30%
Hemp Oil - 10%
Pumpkin Oil - 10%
Neem Oil - 20%

Colloidal oatmeal and oatmeal extract
Lavender, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Patchouli EO blend

I think I'd fully remove the coconut to avoid irritating sensitive dog skin. I personally prefer using a pH-balanced dog shampoo to avoid any potential issues. Itchy dogs aren't nice to deal with!

I think I'd fully remove the coconut to avoid irritating sensitive dog skin. I personally prefer using a pH-balanced dog shampoo to avoid any potential issues. Itchy dogs aren't nice to deal with!
My doggie soap is similar to the above and my kids dogs, which both have skin problems, do much better with it. Like us humans there is just not one fit for all. I do long age them and I have customers that request them. The only oil I do not use is pumpkin instead I use avocado

I added the EO oil blend to help mask the natural odor of the neem oil. It has a very strong and unique aroma. Very nutty. Some people like it, others dont mind it and still others who hate it. But the soap it makes is great for the skin.

I have heard some people say soap can be bad for a dogs skin d/t pH (dogs are more neutral pH at 7 vs humans) however the oils I used help to balance out the pH issues and are very conditioning and soothing to the skin. Another point I have read is that pets skin take longer to recover vs humans when skin is exposed to a soap. But, intact skin, on dogs or humans will recover to baseline pH without any ill effects. A key factor though, is ensuring the skin is not dried out or irritated.

Many people these days are wanting to move away from surfactant based shampoos for their pets due to the varied chemicals in them (many pets are more sensitive to these chemicals than humans). Thats why I am making doggie soap bars and if this recipe works well, I am planning to use it as a liquid soap version (just got to figure out the best way of adding a preservative to the liquid soap)

I added the EO oil blend to help mask the natural odor of the neem oil. It has a very strong and unique aroma. Very nutty. Some people like it, others dont mind it and still others who hate it. But the soap it makes is great for the skin.

What research did you do for the essential oils? Two of those used are on the "Not Safe For Cats" list that I've found (Lavender and Rosemary).

Honestly, for using on pets, I think you'd be far better off putting up with the natural scent of the neem oil.

The soap is for dogs. I didnt think anyone bathes cats. I did not research cat safe EO, just for dogs.

it is best to create a shampoo from COCO betaine , alos 40 , cocomide dea.
these are safe..

or any other PH neutral Base our shampoos need to be a PH 4.5 to 5
dogs 6.5 to 7.5. so creating a liquid shampoos is safer you can lower and increase ph while testing with ph strip.

There are some contra indications for some of those EOs in dogs, is it for your own use or to sell?

Rosemary is not recommended for pregnant dogs or those that may be prone to seizures.

it is best to create a shampoo from COCO betaine , alos 40 , cocomide dea.
these are safe..

or any other PH neutral Base our shampoos need to be a PH 4.5 to 5
dogs 6.5 to 7.5. so creating a liquid shampoos is safer you can lower and increase ph while testing with ph strip.

I have made surfactant based shampoos before. I am wanting to create a doggie shampoo bar that is as natural as possible. CAPB is very controversial as it is a potential carcinogen.

I have made surfactant based shampoos before. I am wanting to create a doggie shampoo bar that is as natural as possible. CAPB is very controversial as it is a potential carcinogen.

This is tricky as it seem to me you want a bar of soap..
the only way to lower ph is adding citric which will destabilize the Saponification process.. We see this when adding Citric EO to soap sometime is lower the required PH and we get oil pools.. this is why we find many citrus in liquid soap.

Syndet bars are possible seem you don't want to use synthetic. these are the only one i know where you can totally control PH factor

Latest posts

Back