Ingredients listed on soap label

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingredients listed on soap label

• Total voters

Lin19687

Reaction score
Thought I would get an updated response

For those that DO NOT make any claims, only that the soap cleans, how many do not list ingredients on the label?

You can just do the Poll and not put in a written response. I am just curious how many do not list.

While I do list, I don't give any claims other then it cleans. But I am wondering if I want to just not list it anymore.

Thought I would get an updated response

For those that DO NOT make any claims, only that the soap cleans, how many do not list ingredients on the label?

You can just do the Poll and not put in a written response. I am just curious how many do not list.

While I do list, I don't give any claims other then it cleans. But I am wondering if I want to just not list it anymore.
Please keep listing. There are so many additives and so many things that people are sensitive to. Example: A good friend is very allergic to silk, of all things. If I hadn't mentioned that a lot of soapers use it, she wouldn't even think it might be an ingredient. Without a list, she'd never know.

I think in the day and age of "allergic to everything" it is good to list the ingredients. People are sometimes weird about asking, so if the information isn't readily available on the soap they have in their hand, they will avoid buying rather than not asking. I also take into consideration my own memory - I use various additives, switching out aloe for milks, sometimes using FO sometimes using EO - so if someone asks me, I can't always remember which soap has what in it without looking at the label myself. Also consider people who purchase as gifting, having the ingredient label allow the recipient to choose if this is something they want or not. I've been gifted enough soap without an ingredient label and the few times I've gone looking to see if the maker publishes ingredients on their website and still not found the info (either they don't have a website or they don't include ingredients) that I've stopped even looking and usually toss the soap without using it. Do you really want your soap in someone's trash?

I think it makes perfect sense to have a list, we have family members allergic to a crazy variety of things. And gifting as I do I have to be careful on their behalf. Silk Really?!? Never imagined.

I used to sell my bars naked, however, I never let the customer leave without an ingredients list for the soap they bought. For the last 6+ years though (maybe longer) I've been wrapping and labelling my soaps, which also includes the ingredients so no need for an additional list, unless it's requested, which I can provide.

Usual EU labelling - if its a wrapped product it must have a label. Unwrapped (i.e sold loose at a FM or like Lush) ingredients have to be on display but the soap doesnt need a seperate label.

My understanding, here in Canada, is that you do not need to have the ingredients on each bar of soap but, in lieu of labeling each bar, a list of ingredients for each soap must be available, whether it be a handout for each bar or available at the place of purchase.

Our rules are (or were, they keep tightening and I've only done a partial re-check for this year) almost exactly the same as yours - essentially the list of ingredients must be available at the point of purchase or on the product itself.
I label my soap (in detail, including the sub 1% fragrance and colour ingredients).

I have seen sellers at events display the ingredients at point of purchase clause, to sell unlabelled soaps.
The ones that use this clause are often just re-sellers of mass-produced soaps (one year, at an event that I know would have cost a couple of thousand for the space, the seller had the list hidden behind a small sign and was VERY reluctant to let it be viewed ... and yup, it was basic, palm-based, milled soap. I'm not sure they got their monies worth, I only saw them once ;)

People like labels here :)

I always list the ingredients, including the type of fragrance. Maybe no the name of the fragrance, but if it contains something that is contraindicated in pregnant women or children, it goes on the label.

Our rules are (or were, they keep tightening and I've only done a partial re-check for this year) almost exactly the same as yours - essentially the list of ingredients must be available at the point of purchase or on the product itself.
I label my soap (in detail, including the sub 1% fragrance and colour ingredients).

I have seen sellers at events display the ingredients at point of purchase clause, to sell unlabelled soaps.
The ones that use this clause are often just re-sellers of mass-produced soaps (one year, at an event that I know would have cost a couple of thousand for the space, the seller had the list hidden behind a small sign and was VERY reluctant to let it be viewed ... and yup, it was basic, palm-based, milled soap. I'm not sure they got their monies worth, I only saw them once ;)

People like labels here :)
I do label as clearly as possible. I'd prefer people know what my soaps are made of. Some of my products (i.e. Bubble Scoops and Shower Steamers) are too small for an informative label. For those, I include a slip with instructions and ingredients with each purchase.

I do label as clearly as possible. I'd prefer people know what my soaps are made of. Some of my products (i.e. Bubble Scoops and Shower Steamers) are too small for an informative label. For those, I include a slip with instructions and ingredients with each purchase.

I think that's exactly what the rule was made for :)
(to allow for products to be sold with a separate ingredients list when they are difficult to label)

I like your addition of instructions :)

I would not buy a soap without the ingredients listed.
I list the ingredients even on soap I give away.
I started making soap because of sensitivities and I think that is why a lot of people buy handmade soap so to me the ingredient list is very important.

I could have sworn there were a few people on here that don't list.
My labels are saved on line so all I do it change the name of the soap.
I have not fully changed my recipe but when I do it is easy to do.

I travelled around the US for 6 weeks and there were LOTS of soap selling in shops with no ingredients listed.
I didn’t get to buy one soap in the US despite looking and looking. I didn’t want lard, tallow or pomace.

Last edited:
Back