Ingredients in MP Base HELP???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ingredients in MP Base Help

chafalota said:
This is to Jadiebugs1: You need to definetly stop using that soap!!! It contains a chemical called "Triethanolamine" and when a body product contains that in it you are to stay away from that. I asked them on the ingredients on Goat Milk MP soap and to what the ingredients they told me it had "NO GOAT MILK IN IT!!!". You should go to a totally different place.

Who's THEM??

supersoaper3000 said:
Here is some good info on Triethanolamine:
http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=622

Thanks for posting this link....again, I actually only understood about 40% of it. I'm not a chemist. Sure would help to be one about now, huh?

The thing about clear soap is that clear isn't natural. It doesn't matter who made it, any really clear soap has 75-77% natural ingredients tops.
There are some fine natural transparent bases out there as well if you value content over clarity.

I once worked for a place that used a crystal clear M&P, claimed it was all natural and didn't print ingredients. Put a couple drops of oil in per pound and now you can say it was infused with such and such. That kind of business practice makes my stomach churn, and I take pains to make sure my customers understand what they are buying.

I, too, worked for a place that did the same. (where I 'caught' the soapmaking BUG, lol!). I heard her claim the glycerin soaps were "natural" to customers. Since I just assumed she was telling the truth, I went ahead and ordered from the same company she got her base from......

I should have also realized too, at the time, my fingers would get all sore, rashed, dry, cracked, etc. back then. But I was taking 'diet pills' then too, so I just attributed it to the medicine.

Over the years I have used crappy natural bases and awesome 'syndet' bases and vice-versa. I think it really is a matter of personal preference.

Well put. This base is a delight to work with...the clear is clear enough, the white is bright...there's no yellowing, it cools off and melts at workable rates, etc. I tried WSP's natural base and didn't like to work with it at all.....took FOREVER to set up, lol! :roll: Not patient enough for that. So I'm hoping SFIC's base is a nice inbetween/medium. I won't know unitl about March next year though, 'cause I have to wait for my income tax return to purchase base to last the whole year! Guess I should try their sample lot.

If I am understanding right, you developed skin issues from handling lots of raw soap? The reason I wear gloves (which I hate doing btw) is because I wash my hands a buzillion times when I am making soap. It doesn't matter how natural or gentle the base you are using is, if you repeatedly wash your hands you end up damaging your skin because you are washing off the natural oils that your skin produces. The fact that you were working for someone who didn't provide you with basic safety info and gear like that just ain't right. I strongly encourage any and all soapers to wear gloves while they work if you are going to wash your hands more than a couple of times.

SFIC's crystal clear is a great soap, but it is not that much different than Crafters choice crystal clear in my humble opinion. At my levels of production, I get CC from WSP because free shipping is a beautiful thing.

I never considered M&P 'raw' soap, but yeah, that's what's happened I do believe....guess my body just couldn't fight it off anymore. I've always just made my soap (MP and CP) without gloves....not any more. (I started wearing the gloves making CP over two years ago(?), though.)

I can't even wash dishes or the countertop, or the floor, or the windows, or anything without wearing the gloves...
I'm now drenching my hands in fragrance free lotion every night with the cotton gloves on just seeking some relief...

it sucks, but I've no one to blame but myself.

I'm going to purchase a bit more MP base from SC, just because I can't afford to get it anywhere else at the moment. BUT....again....next spring I'll be trying SFIC's.... Because even when I'd try showering with it (SC's MP base) it would leave my skin dry and very ITCHY...glycerin soap is not supposed to do that, is it???

I often wondered at those times I'd try showering with it, also....WHY it smelled like Aqua Net hair spray....now I know. Chemical laden soap is my guess.

@jadie MP always makes me dry and itchy. I always wondered if it was because to make the base there is no SF, so unless that's compensated for it would be really drying. Glycerin doesn't do much for me personally as a soap, but I do really appreciate the talents of the artists who use it for a medium.

To Jadiebugs1: Use 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil on you hands about 1 hr. before you go to bed. Don't wash your hands during that time. Then after that hour put some more on and use on top of that put some "Palmers" Olive Butter Formula lotion and then put your moisturizing gloves on and sleep with them on. When you take them off in the morning your hands should be alot better.

Latest posts

Back