Ingredients in CP and MP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone,

What made me want to start making soap is a friend gave me some she got at a craft show last year in Canada.

I would like to make some like it and don't know if it is CP or MP.

Here are the ingredients:

"Saponfield 100% food grade coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil, safflower oil, vegetable glycerin, purified water, pure essential oils, natural coloring".

The soap had a "jelly roll" and clear and solid areas in it too. Can you put jelly rolls and clear/solid in both kinds of soap?

The soap I liked came in a cardboard box but I can't find the company name.

My friend said the owner was giving a soap making demo and used a wooden box mold. He then heated clear soap (?) in the mircowave and added it to the wooden box.

MP should be wrapped in something or it will dry out and should not be packaged in cardboard? or is cardboard allowed sometimes? And you don't ususally use a wooden mold box for MP? or can but is harder to use than a plastic mold?

I could not find where CP soap uses a mirowave in the soap making process or have I overlooked this somewhere?

I went to WSP and found that clear MP soap base has this in it:

Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Water, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein.

It seems the CP soap is more natural then the MP soap?

So will CP and MP soaps always have the same basic ingredients in it?

Can you add anything to the MP base like an oil?

Can CP soap be clear like MP soap?

I searched here on the forum but could not find anything. I am sure the info is here but I probably did not put the right wording in. Sorry as I am confused.

Thanks again for your patience with my questions, I am reading as much as I can to get a feel for it all, I will get the hand of it sooner or later! You are all super, Lynn

Hi Linnea. I'm going to try & answer some of your questions. I'm not real sure of the M&P side of things, I only made about a dozen bars before deciding that CP was for me, not M&P.

While the ingredients listing and the packaging sound like CP soap, the way you describe what was being done at the craft show sounds like M&P.

Using a microwave for CP - I use a microwave to melt my solid oils. I'm too lazy to mess about with a double boiler & wait for them to melt using the stove. I've seen a website giving a tutorial on using your microwave to to HP (hot process) soaps, and I know that some people use the microwave when rebatching.

Is CP more natural than M&P - I understood M&P soap to be a 'cosmetic cleanser', not actually a soap, so my assumption is yes, CP soap is more 'natural' than M&P. HOWEVER this is only my opinion - I'm not putting it out there as solid fact, as I haven't ever bothered to research this side of M&P soaping.

Can CP soap be clear - Yes, it can be. It involves extra steps in the CP process using alcohol etc. Teachsoap.com reccomends reading 'Transparent Soapmaking' by Catherine Failor if you are interested in this.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Becky

[/quote]

Thanks

HI! Thanks for your help. I will keep reading and asking questions and maybe I'll have a bar or two of soap soon.

So does that recipe seem to be CP or MP? Gosh I did confused.

I will check out Teachsoap.com as it sounds like a good one.

Good luck to you always.

Kind regards, Linnea

Linnea said:
Hi everyone,

What made me want to start making soap is a friend gave me some she got at a craft show last year in Canada.

I would like to make some like it and don't know if it is CP or MP.

Here are the ingredients:

"Saponfield 100% food grade coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil, safflower oil, vegetable glycerin, purified water, pure essential oils, natural coloring".

This is Cold Process Soap "Saponfied" = Saponification of...

The soap had a "jelly roll" and clear and solid areas in it too. Can you put jelly rolls and clear/solid in both kinds of soap?

Yes you can add MP to CP soap. But I have not done this method myself, or even transparent soap, but sounds like MP soapmaking at the fair.

MP should be wrapped in something or it will dry out and should not be packaged in cardboard? or is cardboard allowed sometimes? And you don't ususally use a wooden mold box for MP? or can but is harder to use than a plastic mold?

MP HAS to be wrapped in something, or it will dry out. It does not need to breath like CP soap. Putting it only in cardboard well, I think you have to wrap it first. (Ask a seasoned MP soaper) And no, for MP usually the molds are plastic, not wood.

I could not find where CP soap uses a mirowave in the soap making process or have I overlooked this somewhere?

I dont recommend making CP in the microwave, but have heard people do this method. Like a Hot Process Method.

I went to WSP and found that clear MP soap base has this in it:

Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Water, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein.

It seems the CP soap is more natural then the MP soap?

I dont understand your question.. more natural?

So will CP and MP soaps always have the same basic ingredients in it?
No, some MP bases contain chemicals... be careful where you get it from.

Can you add anything to the MP base like an oil?
No, but you can add oil to the base.

[/quote]Can CP soap be clear like MP soap?[/quote]
This is called transparent soap.

ETA: Spelling corrections

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your time and help.

I just called the lab at WSP and the lab said this label was not a CP but a MP. They think the company is not revealing all of the ingredients or adding some that aren't there? :?

They said the soap police won't come through.....te he....

I am a little more confused but will get over it.

You are super and thanks so much again for your help.

Lynn

What brand soap did you find the ingredient list on? Knowing that would give us more clues to go on.

As for the soap police (FDA) they state (in a nut shell) if you disclose 1 ingredient you must disclose them all. It is OK on soap (not lotions, scrubs & such) to list no ingredients, however if you list 1, you must list them all & they *migh* come and get you if they are tipped off. It has happened.

Tabitha said:
As for the soap police (FDA) they state (in a nut shell) if you disclose 1 ingredient you must disclose them all. It is OK on soap (not lotions, scrubs & such) to list no ingredients, however if you list 1, you must list them all & they *migh* come and get you if they are tipped off. It has happened.

Do you just list what the package says (ie MP), and add in whatever you added? Wouldn't that give away what brand it is?

Bret, you must list everything on the package of MP.. so all of the ingredients in the base, as well as what you have added to it.

You have to break it down.

No one is going to worry which brand it is except maybe another soaper.

The 200+ companies out there that sell base to *us*, by the pound or 24# block, are buying it all from only about 3-4 manufaturers anyway, by the pallet or by 250 pounds in the case of SFIC.

Soap companies

Hi just called 3 of the major soap suppliers and one stated they are not revealing all the ingredients, one did not know and one said that the "Low Sweat" MP may come close to the product. They said the "Low Sweat" does not have to be in a plastic and can be in cardboard. Thanks again for all the help, time and effort. Lynn

To be FDA compliant your labels should have :

Directions for use
Ingredients, full disclosure
Contact info- your address
FDA Disclaimer- The saftey of this item has not been determined by the FDA, please discontinue use if redness or irritation occur, etc. (or any other pertinant disclaimer specific to your product(s).

With that being said, I am no FDA expert, please consult their website for exact information :wink: .

yep, that's it, that little swap was just a ploy to get my hands on your products. I have sent them off to labs to be tested for bird flue- hehehe. :twisted:

I am 98% sure that it is MP, Slice off a small piece and put it in the microwave, if it melts like butter it is MP. CP takes longer to melt and can scorch in the microwave pretty fast if the is no liquid added to it.
As far as the wood mold goes, could it have been lined with a silicone mold? If so then yes you can pour MP in it.

Back