Ingredients good for lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have kindle app on my iPad and I frequently download free books. One such book led me to soap making. I also downloaded a lotion making book, one by Anne.L.Watson called smart lotion making, today it's not free but costs 99 c. The author explains the basic principles of lotion making really well. Give it a try and then research different groups of lotion ingredients, a good place is again swiftycraftmonkey's blog. If you read enough I'm sure you'll get a very good idea of what you want from the lotion you are going to make and what you'd have to use to achieve that. Then when you come up with a recipe, the helpful people here can troubleshoot it for you.

You're most welcome, Narnia.

As far as heating and holding in the oven -- yes, it can be done IF you use a water bath exactly like you would do on the stove. You will spend a fair bit of time fiddling around getting the oven temperature adjusted and water bath temp stabilized ... and then you will still have to do the heat-and-hold step with your ingredients!

In my opinion, using the oven only makes sense if you're doing large batches that justify the extra time and hassle. For small batches, a bain marie (hot water bath) in a saucepan on the stove is really truly going to be quicker and easier. Honestly, I'm with Susie on this, even though I've given you a full answer. Stick with the basics at first and build from there.

I want to add that normal household ovens do NOT stay at a constant temperature. The actual air temperature will swing quite a bit around whatever temperature you set the oven to. That's why a dish of delicate custard is usually baked in a pan of water -- it needs to be protected from temp swings that could curdle the custard.

A water bath does two things for lotions as well as custards -- the water moderates (evens out) those temperature swings and it also increases the rate of heat transfer to your ingredients, so they will reach temperature much quicker than if you just put them into the oven "naked" (meaning without a water bath).

Thanks so much, DeeAnna! I wonder...could the heat and hold phase be done in the oven, since it can stay at a constant temp?

So, what is happening here is that we are actually "pasteurizing" the ingredients.

Narnia, Could you do us a favor and read the link for newbies on Susan blog. Then you can back and ask questions. I had seen people asking about the oven and I find it pretty naive, the question.

Czmaha I am with you, I imagine milk getting spoiled ans stinky on my skin ;)) is not only you

dixiedragon I had but I do not use it a lot. It is easier for me to find it on the website. I printed the book and have easy access to it. Sometimes:)) i use the book. I made so many lotions that very often I do not need the help designing new one;))
Susan is an excellent teacher that's for sure

Last edited:
Re sticking with 12% or less of goat milk...does it make any difference to even bother using the milk?

In terms f GM lotion spoiling and stinking on the skin...I made a batch of it early January and it smells just as lovely as the day that I made it. No problems at all.

The only thing that I DON'T like about it, is that it has had a draggy feeling from day one. Not a glide-y one. AND...when I put it on my skin, it is white looking until completely rubbed in. I wonder what causes these things?

Last edited:
Back