Infusing with Hard Oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
Poor inventory tracking has resulted in me running out of infused Calendula oil. While cussing myself out for having to delay a burning project, I was wondering if anyone has tried infusing with lard or palm and making oil pucks?

I realize melting point of oil could potentially ruin the botanicals; just wondering if anyone has done it.

Thanks Susie - I'm still very enthused about my new lard addiction, so happy to know it will work.

When I infuse oils I put the oils and stuff in jars and put them in a crockpot with a few inches of water in it, set on warm. I leave it for 3-6 hours. I dont know why this wouldn't work for lard as well.

I wouldn't see why not. Most of my botanicals spent their lives in my gardens, which can easily hit 100 degrees in July. Some get cooked on my stove and don't lose their scent or (too much) color even in food.

I'd have to check individually, but I tend to doubt that lard's melting temperature is going to be any trouble at all.

I infused CO with parsley flakes in one of those little potpourri crocks, and it seems to get too hot so I just kept switching it off when I felt it was too hot and back on before it cooled much. Also infused a soft oil (avocado or rice bran, can't remember) with dried chamomile the same way, and the chamomile scent came out stronger in my soap than the lavender EO I added at trace! My sister said it smells like her chamomile tea.

I had 12-32oz ball jars and put them in an oven bath for 6 hours and everything went perfectly. I only used soft oils this time but I do want to try it out with the lard. Busy weekend and I wouldn't have time to strain.

Latest posts

Back