Infusing orange peels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I was given a bunch of very nice oranges by family and got the idea of infusing oils with orange peels. I know the scent won't last in soap so I plan to make lip balm, hand lotion, or maybe shampoo bars with it just to see how it works.

I figured infusing fresh orange peels directly with oil may not be a good idea, so I plan to let the peels air dry then extract using alcohol.

I tried searching around for a recipe but I could only found recipes using orange-infused olive oil for cooking, so wondering if anyone had infused oil with orange peels and how did you use it?

I have infused orange peels in vinegar for an all purpose cleaner. Not sure about using orange peels in oil for skin. Sounds rather harsh and you would have no way to measure how much orange oil is in there. Thinking of phototoxicity.

I did infuse dried orange peels in sunflower oil and in olive oil. I also infused lime peels, lemon peels, hibiscus petals, calendula, coffee, and others.

I got my Frontier Co-op organic orange peels (Citrus sinensis) from iHerb and intended it for tea, until I thought maybe I could infuse some in oils because they smelled good and could be nice in soap and lotion. I like citrusy scents. I didn't know about photosensitivity and phototoxicity of foods, perfumes, and essential oils back then, and so I just went ahead and infused the peels and used them on soap, and in my first attempt at a solid body balm, and at an attempt at a soothing muscle salve. I wasn't a part of this forum yet and I didn't do any research prior to this, and that was a regrettable experience!

So for the soap, I made a batch of cold process and another batch for high heat hot process glycerin. I didn't feel much photosensitivity in the cold process soap other than a slight tingly sensation especially if you use the bar on the face.

The tingling was more intense, however, with the glycerin.

Indoors, the tingling can be felt on the cheekbone area. Outdoors, the tingling was almost burning, my cheekbones were red. I didn't have sunscreen on so that was another lesson. If you wish to avoid photosensitivity, use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an spf of at least 30 -- according to skincancer.org

As for the solid body balm, I just used them on my hands, elbows, knees, heel and feet so I didn't feel any tingling because those areas are usually rarely exposed to sunlight or any bright light. It's the same for the muscle salve. I only used it at night so got no photosensitivity issues felt.

If you want to use your orange peel infusion on soap, then maybe you'll need to warn members of your household and the people you share your bars with that you used an orange peel infusion in your bars and the risk of experiencing skin photosensitivity is quite high... they will need to wear a broad spectrum sunscreen with a high spf to reduce/avoid a phototoxic or photosensitivity reaction, and that symptoms may start instantly and can last up to a week of sun exposure -- based on my experience. And that symptoms may be itchy, tingly, or even painful, and a red rash may develop on the skin exposed to sunlight...

Latest posts

Back