Infusing Olive oil with Chamomile Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaptana

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m making soap for my baby and I would like to use chamomile infused olive oil. How much chamomile (in weight) should I infuse per cup of olive oil? Also how long should I let it infuse for? Thank you.

Hi -

The traditional method is to set the oil with the herb in a sunny spot for several weeks and even months. I however put the oil and herbs in a crockpot and warm them for several hours until it reaches the desired strength. Either works - I am just impatient. :)

While Chamomile is gentle - use it sparingly on baby at first. My daughter is allergic to chamomile for some reason so it can cause a reaction. And honestly - I am not convinced that she is allergic so much as she has eczema that is set off by almost everything.

Thank you. I think the crockpot method is a great idea. I'd be worried that oil would go rancid if it were made to sit under direct sunlight for months at a time.

It wont go rancid but the crockpot method is great and if your worried about using chamomile just use calendula. Its supposed the be the most gentle. To get your desired strength, your supposed to infuse 3/4 cup of herb(s) mixed or one type. Pour 2cups of olive oil over the herbs and heat on low in a crockpot for 4-6 hours. Your done!

how much of the scent would carry through a soap?? ive heard they dont really last but i feel like there has to at least be some background scents that exist. I want to start making massage oils too!... i love infused oils, nothing is more relaxing than putting some in a hot bath......

Back