infusing lard with colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57692

Reaction score
Hi,

I've search the forum for infusing colour into oils and have found a LOT of info. Most of it into liquid oils, either by a hot or cold process.

Again these are liquid oils, olive oil, sunflower, safflower, etc....

I even saw on an internet search where someone infused coconut oil with colour, but they had to hot process it daily. I guess coconut oil can do this, because it si always going between liquid and a solid state depending on the temperature.

A key piece of info, is that it is best to infuse the highest percent of oil that will be in your soap.

I would like to use lard as the highest percent of oil in the soap, with maybe 2 or 3 others.

I haven't found any info on how to infuse lard with colour. I am concerned that the lard will break down its structure if it is hot processed daily like the person's coconut oil. I would like to use herbs, like paprika, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

I was thinking if I hot process it once to mix the colour in, and leave it sit for a few weeks??? Has anyone tired this with lard?

Thanks

I’ve made infusions with coconut oil., but not lard, which I don’t think would be especially convenient for making infusions. I’m not familiar with the idea of hot processing infusions. I warm-infuse the coconut oil for at least a few hours by leaving the jar in a warm water bath. After that, I periodically heat the infusion just enough to melt to coconut oil so I can shake everything up thoroughly. By periodically, I mean days, or weeks later depending on how much of a rush I’m in to use the infusion. I rarely use coconut oil at more than 20% of my recipe. To obtain the color I want with an infused oil that accounts for a lower percentage of the fats in my recipes, I make relatively strong infusions. It takes about 50% less of an infusion made with 10 g botanical colorant and 100 g coconut oil to achieve a desired color compared with using oil from an infusion made with 5 g botanical colorant and 100 g coconut oil.

Latest posts

Back