Infusing botanicals for color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeroll

Reaction score
For those of you who cold-infuse botanicals in oil to obtain color: Do you find there is a time after which the oil doesn't absorb any more color from the powder/leaves? Is it just unnecessary overkill to leave the the oil infusing after, say, a month? How long do you like to infuse for the deepest, richest color results?

I've always followed the 6 weeks rule for cold infusion. I don't let any leaves stay in longer as they could start to get funky and spoil, but leaves do not really add much color, other than brown.

Spices I just do the same with. Don't know if leaving, say, annatto seed in longer will make a difference. Certainly using a lot or a little does make a difference.

Calendula petals reach yellow and don't get any further after 6 weeks. I have unintentionally let that one sit longer. Actually, by 4 weeks they are not making the oil any more yellow then they already have, in my observation.

By the time 6 weeks is up, I am ready to strain them and use anyway, 'cause I am tired of shaking them daily, I am lazy, lol.

By the time 6 weeks is up, I am ready to strain them and use anyway, 'cause I am tired of shaking them daily, I am lazy, lol.

I know, right? Also, me=impatient. I'm currently sitting on three weeks and dying to use them.

Back