Infused Olive Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynasthai

Reaction score
So first time posting, only done two batches of hot process soap so far. Thankfully both have been successful. But this is a question about oils.

I work for a winery and we have olive oils that we sell that are past their sell by date. Usually they just go into the trash but I'm trying to get permission to take them and use them for soap making. We have a truffle infused and a jalapeno infused olive oil. I already did some reading up on brining expired oils to make them usable, though I don't think the oils are that far gone yet. What I'm wondering is how the infusions will affect the soap. Currently i'm only using about 30% OO in my recipe but thought the free oil might be a good time to try a 100% recipe.

I don't expect that the truffle would be a problem but I'm curious if the jalapeno would irritate the skin and how much of the scent might come through to the final bar. Also would brining the oil help remove the infusion? Any input would be great.

I can't answer about the brine process. But my biggest concern is that with Castile(100% OO) requiring such a long cure time is that you will get DOS by the time the soap is usable, since you are using oil past the sell by date. I would think to try a smaller amount in a soap that you can use faster.

The brining process supposedly helps remove the rancid smell by cleansing out things like keytones. But doesn't affect the actual oils. On a chemistry level a rancid oil is apparently an oil where the fatty acids have separated from the glycerin molecule that used to bind them together. It was recommended in the article i read to use a 0% super fat when trying to use rancid oils so that all the fatty acids that are free from their glycerin molecules will be bound with the lye and thus will have no smell. This I assume would also help with the DOS.

omg I cannot believe that a truffle oil has gone past being edible! I am so sad :(

I would use that one, no problem, in soap. The jalapeno, no. I don't know of a simple way to test for irritants, and I would hate to have them in there and then get in someone's eyes. And no, I don't think brining the oil would separate it out, at least not reliably.

I could be wrong, tho. I am, after all, still emotionally distraught over the truffle oil.

I wouldn't use the jalapeño due to possible irritation to the skin.

As for the other, I'd open it and give it a sniff. If it smells bad, I wouldn't use it. If it smells OK, I'd make a small batch and see how it goes. If the oil's been sealed, it should not have oxidized.

I would also suggest two things - don't wait overly long. The further we go past the 'best before' date, the less 'best' it is.

Secondly, as you use hp, I would look to make my main recipe, including the old olive oil, at no more than 1% superfat - only if your measure is accurate enough and you feel utterly comfortable with that. You can cook it up and then add more superfat afterward, which doesn't include the old olive oil. The less of this oil that is unsaponified the better!

Thanks for the tips. Due to the bureaucracy of my work it may be a while before I get the oil if I get it at all. If I do I'll definitely post once I've made a batch with it.

Bribe your boss with the promise of a couple bars when you try it out. Might also turn into a side gig if they think they can get a second run from their waste stream.

Back