infused Calendula

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I hope this is the right spot for this. I have been researching infusing calendula and I found a lot of info but would like to ask you guys if you do do it what is your process?

Last week I did a hot infusion for soaping where I took all my liquid oils and put them in a jar with my calendula and then let it sit in a pan of hot water (not even simmering, just staying hot) for several hours. If I had like 6 weeks I would just throw some oil (olive or rice bran or something) into a container that seals like a mason jar or hermetic glass container and leave it in a dark, cool place for as long as humanly possible.

Last week I did a hot infusion for soaping where I took all my liquid oils and put them in a jar with my calendula and then let it sit in a pan of hot water (not even simmering, just staying hot) for several hours. If I had like 6 weeks I would just throw some oil (olive or rice bran or something) into a container that seals like a mason jar or hermetic glass container and leave it in a dark, cool place for as long as humanly possible.

thanks Steff--did you have a lid on it? I wonder what would happen if I sealed in a canning jar and put in my insta pot for awhile.....hmmmmmm

A soap friend of mine gave me some annatto seed and alkanet for infusing. Her instructions were to put it in the microwave for 1 minute to infuse. I haven't done it yet, but the soaps she has made are gorgeous. I have done calendula infusions in the jar and leave it alone for a few weeks (or months, as I tend to forget about things).

I plan on growing some calendula this year--I grow nasturtiums every year and have been wondering about infusing them (they are spicy, but don't know if that would come through or not) I think the colors would be nice

I just tossed the petals in a jar and covered with oil for a few weeks.
I strain most out when I weight the oils for a recipe but I'll add some of the soggy petals back to the oils and blend really well.
They get chopped up and make pretty speckles in the soap.

This is timely information for me! My jar of dried petals is packed so I'll prepare another jar to start infusing this weekend.
rsz_img_20190522_154219.jpeg

I have a jar of calendula infusing in olive oil that's been sitting for more than a month. Was planning to make a balm with it.

I've read mixed info on it. Some people say leave it near a sunny window, some say leave it away from sun. The one infusing now is in the kitchen, definitely not cool n dark there so when I do make the balm I'll be constantly checking if things go rancid quickly or it was ok what I did.

I infused some lavender in sweet almond oil, part I mixed with mango butter. It's what Dustin gets in his before bedtime massages. The oil I use on my hair. That one I let sit in my slow cooker, on top of a towel, for about 6hrs on low. It's still fine, no rancid smell yet at about 3mos. I imagine calendula should be the same?

I've only done it once. I used liquid coconut oil because I was making a basic salve for dogs - nothing but calendula-infused coconut and some Vitamin E. I put it in the sunny window in a mason jar. I think it made the coconut go a touch off - it definitely had a different smell. Next time I'll try it on the stove vs a few weeks in the sun.

Mountain Rose Herbs has good information on herbal infusions in oil the way the pros do it, including a heat-infusion for those of us who don't have enough patience for the sun to do its job. :D

Personally, I make infused oils on the range top. I use a stainless steel 9" fry pan; spread the dry herb on the bottom; cover with oil to an inch above the dried herb; simmer as low as the burner will go for 3-4 hours, or enough for the oil to have some depth of color. My favorite oils for infusion are olive oil or HO sunflower oil because of the long shelf life. I add ROE and vitamin E antioxidants to extend shelf life as well.

Unless you're planning on make gallons, don't make the mistake I first made of buying a pound of dried calendula! It came in a HUGE bag that took forever to use up. I've since learned to buy the 4-ounce size from Monterey Bay Spice Co

While you're at it, to make it more economical, you might as well pick up a few other herbs, using ideas from the Mountain Rose site for herbal balms & salves. Good stuff to have around. ;)

Last edited:
The easiest I found is the same as the "quick" method from Mountain Rose Herbs, also it was featured in Making Soap magazine (HSCG publication). Mix 1 oz of dry herb and 15 oz of oil in a mason jar, cover with the lid and put in slow cooker filled with enough water up to the oil level. Put on Low for at least 6 hours. Turn off and let naturally cool down. Strain and use.

I use calendula petals mainly for colour. It gives my soap a nice pale yellow shade which seems to last well. I just put the petals in the hot lye mixture and then add the lot to the oils and blitz. No waiting required apart from letting the lye cool a bit before adding to the oils. The petals get chopped up so fine you can't really see them in the yellow soap (but I also have poppy seeds which might hide the calendula a bit.) I have also added the petals straight to the soap batter before pouring for a nice white soap with yellow speckles.

Ha! The only pic I have of this soap is when I posted asking for helping with ashing. The Lemongrass and poppy seed soap with the calendula as a colourant is in the middle, you can see the yellow colour in the centre of the soap, the rest has ashed. It is a nice, pale, cool lemon colour under the ash!

DSCF1124.JPG

Thanks for sharing, Julia. You might want to try giving your bars a water bath to rinse off the ash... if you haven't already tried that. Spritzing with isopropyl alcohol usually does the trick also.

I don't know why, but poppy seeds in soap always makes me hungry! :rolleyes:

Thanks Zany, but this ash goes right into the soap. I have tried soaping at higher temperatures and CPOPing with some success. But there are many other threads about ash so I won't hijack this one any further.

Latest posts

Back