infrared thermometer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rszuba

Reaction score
i just gotta know has anyone invested in a good infrared thermometer? i am thinking about getting one. just know how to decide.

thanks,
renee

hey what happened to you other sig. about menopause. i lol everytime i seen it?

rszuba said:
hey what happened to you other sig. about menopause. i lol everytime i seen it?

I changed it cause right now I am down in the dumps about the subject, the truth is I am heading towards a hysterectomy, which is quite upsetting and unsettling for me :cry: , but yes you're right it was a good line and so true

Sorry about the medical situation E.

As for the infared thermometer, I wouldn't use one. They only measure the surface temp of the mixture and not down inside which is where I usually would like to know what the temp is.
However, i don't use a thermometer at all, so ???

jcandleattic you make a good point and i have often wondered about weather it only measures surface or internal and the effect of soaping. i'm assuming for candle making temp is important tooo(don't do candles, my friend is looking into and she said she may get an infared therm.).

they advertise those themometers on soapmaking equip. sites, so i thought they might be good, so how much difference would the top of my oils and lye be compared to in the middle?

you don't use temps good for you, i'm gonna have to read your posts on those secrets.
thanks
renee

rszuba said:
you don't use temps good for you, i'm gonna have to read your posts on those secrets.
thanks
renee

It's no secret at all! I do RTCP, but different to the tutorial on this board. My oils are around 50/50 hard/liquid, so after measure I partially melt them, just to soften up the coconut, palm, lard, tallow, cocobutter or whatever I am using (bear in mind these are not all included in the same batch just giving examples) mix in my liquid oils which bring to temps down to just warm. Then I mix my lye and straight away, while it is hot I carefully pour over my oils, which in turn melts all the hard bits. I hand stir for a few minutes making sure everything is melted then I proceed with my SB and carry on as normal. If dealing with a finicky EO or FO then I will premelt the night before and let the oils cool down completely, they will not go back to realy hard form bc of the liquid oils in there, this gives me enough time to play with colors/swirls etc.
Etelka

Dalziel said:
i have 2 candy thermoms. but shold i invest in a digital one?

Make things easy for yourself, abandon the thermometer idea :lol:
Etelka

No secret. I just wait for the lye to cool to where it is warm to the touch in it's bowl and do the same for the oils, then I mix them. I've never had a problem doing it that way. I do wait longer if I'm working with a known overheater or a floral, and I soap very cool if I'm making a gm soap. :)

I'm thinking about investing in a decent thermometer. Does anyone have recommendations? Has anyone tried experimenting with temperatures? eg, if the same type of batch turns out better or worse after mixing at different temps?

I personally have been mixing lye solution to base oils at average of 125 degrees for most of the time.

Back