Information needed for my daughter please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzo

Reaction score
My daughter who lives in UK is trying to look for jobs in USA but is finding it difficult to find decent job sites, info etc. she is currently employed as a scientist doing research and development for a new type of wound dressings. Her degree was in Molecular Medicine and Biochemistry. Her aim is to find a job, move to US with the intention of eventually settling there. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some useful starting points to help her.

Join professional organizations. I know there are some specifically for women in STEM fields.

Any idea of what state she wants to move to?

How about the Research Triangle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

This is a lovely area to live in. Not too hot, not too cold, pleasantly mountainous, relatively near Washington DC and it's museums, and also not too far from the ocean, I think.

I'm not sure how to localize this kind of search, but Dixie is right w/r/t to location. I went to high school (and returned for part of college and law school) to Durham/Chapel Hill. My dad was a molecular biologist, spent most of his work life as a research scientist at Glaxo and Burroughs Wellcome (now they are all merged into some huger even more mega co.) and it was a v. good place for a scientist w/that kind of background. Plus a really nice place to live, the best of the South.

Thank you everyone who replied. Just a bit more information. She is a Brit passport holder therefore would need to get the necessary immigration papers to work there, and not sure how easy that is or if indeed American companies are keen to employ overseas people when they have enough of their own qualified personnel. Not sure if anyone here has any kind of experience in this? All suggestions welcome

You'd really have to check w/an immigration expert/lawyer on this. As I understand it, she will need sponsorship by a US company to get a work visa, but her skill set is definitely preferable to that of someone with a non-science background. It seems like there might be job seeker forum/board for people with science backgrounds that would include info on that, have you checked? I think it would be worth it to spend a while on that, you might find a really good one with lots of specific information.

I have relatives that have come over here on work visas but they are all Indian and IT experts (I know, bring on the jokes), so I don't know if the context is the same.

Since your daughters skills are in a specialized area, it might be better for her to think about what kind of setting she would like to work in, if she needs additional training for that, if so what those requirements are. Professional societies within your country and international ones will have valuable resources as will her senior colleagues. It's always good to network a bit. I googled MM&B career prospects and the search turned up a PDF, I will try to link it here.
https://www.asbmb.org/uploadedFiles...evelopment/ASBMB_2011CareerText_Web_Final.pdf
Hope it's useful.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. I will pass them on to Jade and keep you informed of any progress. You all have been very kind as usual x

Back