Influenza A

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read, even if they guess wrong, the flu shot still offers some protection.

It's far less effective than what they claim. The statistics show that, for any given year, it is usually about 30% protection.

Vaccines confer limited immunity, and repeated vaccines compromise your own, natural immune system. They are a very inferior and highly dangerous substitute for beefing-up your body's immunity.

I do not ever get flu shots and have never had the flu since childhood. That's over 53 years running.

Vitamin D is several times more effective at preventing the flu than the shots are.
It will also shorten the course of the illness, should you contract it.

Most people -- over 85% of U.S. citizens statistically -- have extremely low (unprotective levels) of Serum Vitamin D, which means, what can be measured in your blood. The medical community is slowly starting to realize that the old 400 I.U. per day RDA was inadequate, and have raised it to 1,000 IU -- still vastly inadequate for indoor-living people, but a step in the right direction.

Vitamin D is critical for much more than the flu. An "optimal" serum level protects against all degenerative diseases. Vitamin D is more a hormone than a vitamin, and is involved in many body processes (to simplify matters greatly).

I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D daily, as a minimum. In winter, I take 10,000 - 15,000 a few times a week, in addition. This is not a problematic dose because your body makes up to 20,000 IU at a time in the sun. To get adequate vit. D from sun alone, you have to expose at least 40% of your body for 10 - 20 minutes a day, but obviously this depends highly upon where you live and what season it is. You must obtain a light pink color from the exposure, for your skin to manufacture it. If you shower beforehand, you will wash off the body oils necessary for this process and will hardly make any.

Your gut bacteria comprises 80% of your immune system, and most people's guts are a mess from inattention, GMO foods, antibiotic use, and lack of knowledge. Take care of your immune system and your serum D levels and they will take care of you.

For more information on vaccines, flu, vitamin D, and gut care, a simple one-stop source is www.mercola.com

Yes, we are both anti-vaxxers (Dr Mercola and I).

Last edited:
When I woke up on the floor, cuz yep I passed out, my arm felt like it was on fire... for the next three months. So yeah... if that nurse had done what I said and let me sit down and relax my muscles, I truly believe the injury would have never happened.

You're so lucky you didn't end up with more of an injury; I know a woman who passed out (randomly) during a standing x-ray and is still really suffering --5 years later-- from the traumatic brain injury she received when she hit the concrete floor :-(

I have never been remotely in that type of situation where they just stab you while you're getting ready! Even when, last January, 2 healthy kids died from the flu just in our small city and everyone in town (including me) rushed out to get the shot the next day.

Next time, tell them to BACK OFF until you say go....

My grandma got the exact same thing from that vaccine. Happena sometimes I guess, but she is 80 something i think? So better to get her shots that falling ill. Though she is mad she cant do all her stuff now, but she is on the mend.

About six years ago, despite having all received the flu shot, our entire house had influenza B. It was awful. Weeks without work, school. Afterwards, I could not taste for about six months.

@cmzaha, I hope you get even better even sooner!

Third world country here, and influenza is still very much common despite the vaccines, which I have not gotten. Fortunately, I have also not gotten sick in the couple of years I'm back home (used to work in the UAE).

Both my sons are vaccinated yearly though. My mom just recently got hers, and got the flu two days after, and that rendered her useless (her words lol, not mine) for a week.

Vitamin D, the way I understood it, helps your body absorb the rest of the other vitamins, like the immune boosting vitamin C. I am much healthier now that I can be outdoors, instead of being stuck in the office all day like before. Then, I had a deficiency, and the doctor said to stand under the sun for about 20mins every morning at 7am.

It's far less effective than what they claim. The statistics show that, for any given year, it is usually about 30% protection.

Vaccines confer limited immunity, and repeated vaccines compromise your own, natural immune system. They are a very inferior and highly dangerous substitute for beefing-up your body's immunity.

I do not ever get flu shots and have never had the flu since childhood. That's over 53 years running.

Vitamin D is several times more effective at preventing the flu than the shots are.
It will also shorten the course of the illness, should you contract it.

Most people -- over 85% of U.S. citizens statistically -- have extremely low (unprotective levels) of Serum Vitamin D, which means, what can be measured in your blood. The medical community is slowly starting to realize that the old 400 I.U. per day RDA was inadequate, and have raised it to 1,000 IU -- still vastly inadequate for indoor-living people, but a step in the right direction.

Vitamin D is critical for much more than the flu. An "optimal" serum level protects against all degenerative diseases. Vitamin D is more a hormone than a vitamin, and is involved in many body processes (to simplify matters greatly).

I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D daily, as a minimum. In winter, I take 10,000 - 15,000 a few times a week, in addition. This is not a problematic dose because your body makes up to 20,000 IU at a time in the sun. To get adequate vit. D from sun alone, you have to expose at least 40% of your body for 10 - 20 minutes a day, but obviously this depends highly upon where you live and what season it is. You must obtain a light pink color from the exposure, for your skin to manufacture it. If you shower beforehand, you will wash off the body oils necessary for this process and will hardly make any.

Your gut bacteria comprises 80% of your immune system, and most people's guts are a mess from inattention, GMO foods, antibiotic use, and lack of knowledge. Take care of your immune system and your serum D levels and they will take care of you.

For more information on vaccines, flu, vitamin D, and gut care, a simple one-stop source is www.mercola.com

Yes, we are both anti-vaxxers (Dr Mercola and I).
I was well over 50 yrs without ever having the flu, but it caught up this year. My husband had a flu shot and he only ended up with a cough instead of the full blown flu. At 70 I can tell health changes and I Will get a flu shot next year. If nothing else it does seem to minimize the symptoms. I have never been against the vaccine I just never seemed to need one, well that has changed

Ditto on that, Carolyn (@cmzaha)! It's often been easy for me to conveniently forget about getting a flu vaccination most years, but I've paid the price several times. I've changed my tune in recent years after my DH had medical treatment that lowered his immune system. It's stupid to not do something to protect people you love (including myself) from getting desperately sick when it's such a simple thing to do. Even the local pharmacist can give flu and pneumonia immunizations now, so no need to traipse into the clinic even. As I said, I've had the flu often enough to realize a slightly sore arm for a couple days is a small price to pay compared to dealing with a full blown case of influenza.

I know the vaccine isn't 100% effective because it's difficult to 100% predict exactly what strains of flu will predominate in a given region, but 40-60% effectiveness is better than nothing. And even partial immunity can reduce the symptoms a lot even if you do get sick. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

I'm with the above. My daughter didn't get the flu shot and failed to get my grandkids one. She's been sick for 3 weeks, my grandson got it and because we caught it in time were able to get him and my granddaughter Tamiflu. I watched my grandson and knock wood neither my husband nor I got the flu. We've both been hit by a cold but not the flu. I'd rather has some protection than none.

When my sister was pregnant, my mom and I got the TDAP. She pooh-poohed it - and then she caught whooping cough! My nephew was vaccinated so he was fine, but man we gave her such a hard time!

My parents are in their 60s. My dad hates it when my mom makes his Doctor's appointments or goes with him, because she always signs him up for shots.

It's stupid to not do something to protect people you love (including myself) from getting desperately sick when it's such a simple thing to do.
I'm with you on that, which is why everyone else in the house has been vaccinated. My teenager gets it yearly in school, my toddler got it in one of his monthly checkups, and my mom in one of her (I'm not sure how often) check ups as well.
The "convenience" of it is probably why they have theirs and I "forgot" to get mine since coming home, even after I've been thinking about it - I have to remedy that soon.

Glad you're feeling better, Carolyn!

amd, my question is was it really an injury or a reaction to the vaccine? I know of a nurse who got the vaccine years ago and I see her to this day in town on a scooter. She never got back to work. She has been ill ever since. So sad...the chances are small but eventually it has to land on someone.
It was an injury. I've never had a reaction to a flu shot, and yes I do know that shots will vary a bit from year to year.

I seem to finally be over the bug itself, just need to work on getting my strength back, especially since I am back at the parents house next week. Guess I should say parent, my sis still stands with we are not bringing my step-dad home. He is beyond our care.

Latest posts

Back