Quantcast

Indigo powder is green?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ShelbbyLeighh

Reaction score
Good morning,

I experimented with Indigo Powder for the 1st time yesterday in my cold process swirl soap. My indigo powder is a very mossy, earthy green. I kind of thought maybe it would change to a blueish color as the soap hardened, but this morning it is still quite green. Anyone experience this before? Any tips or tricks I should know? I don't mind the way my soap loaf turned out, but it just wasn't what I was expecting!

Attachments

szaza

Reaction score
Wow that's a very pretty green you got there! Though I understand it's not what you expected;)
I've read about people getting different colors from indigo, though personally I've only gotten blue so far.
I'm quite sure there are people on here who can help you more with this.
Meanwhile, here are some good reads on indigo
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/natural-colorant-in-hp-series-indigo.75204/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo-pink.75897/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-indigo-and-jagua-blues.75531/

Dawni

Reaction score
I agree. Pretty green and pretty top :)

That first link is mine. I tried 3 different indigos - one dark blue, one dull blue grey and a brown with a green tinge - different ways and had different colored soaps.

To make it easy for me - the bluer the powder, the bluer the soap lol

Green or brownish indigo could be the stuff not processed to give blue. It could be the one mixed with henna (or not) and used on hair.

Kcryss

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I experimented with Indigo Powder for the 1st time yesterday in my cold process swirl soap. My indigo powder is a very mossy, earthy green. I kind of thought maybe it would change to a blueish color as the soap hardened, but this morning it is still quite green. Anyone experience this before? Any tips or tricks I should know? I don't mind the way my soap loaf turned out, but it just wasn't what I was expecting!
I love the colors! What kind of indigo are you using? I would like to get some. :)

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
If you used green indigo powder then you will end up with green. To get the blue color indigo, you will have to ferment it with sugar and calcium and it's very messy.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I love the colors! What kind of indigo are you using? I would like to get some. :)
You can buy green indigo powder on Amazon and if you mix it with henna you will get a dark purple to almost black color. The process to turn it blue is a pain in the butt. I know from first hand experience.