Indigo pink

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I add the blue woad powder at trace...

0.5g of blue woad powder per 300g oils -> pale blue
1g of blue woad powder per 300g oils -> medium blue
1.5g of blue woad powder per 300g oils -> dark blue

I've run quite a few batches now and they always come out blue rather than grey. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the colour whether they go through gel phase or not.
Now this is as exact information as I could wish for. Thank you!

No I used a bought indigo powder that is blue but makes greyish blue soap.
What I was trying to do was make it darker (like Dharma trading indigo pre-reduced crystals but natural) and it turns out it makes it darker and you can use a lot less indigo with this method.
Woops, sorry misunderstood!

Indigo pink! Who knew!

So I'm not going crazy! I made these indigo ombré soaps a while ago, and I'm currently using one at my kitchen sink. The other day, I thought I could see a pink band going across the middle of it. That must have been from when I was using the infusion very weak and hadn't stirred it yet as I was progressing through to the darker layers. Very interesting!

The fresh, recently cured soap photo is there for comparison. I used 70% EVOO which was greener at first, but then lightened to a more whitish colour. IMG_2985_shibori.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo quality... night time lighting is not the best. It kind of shows the pinkish layer across the middle.
IMG_5388_sm.jpg

Indigo pink! Who knew!

So I'm not going crazy! I made these indigo ombré soaps a while ago, and I'm currently using one at my kitchen sink. The other day, I thought I could see a pink band going across the middle of it. That must have been from when I was using the infusion very weak and hadn't stirred it yet as I was progressing through to the darker layers. Very interesting!

The fresh, recently cured soap photo is there for comparison. I used 70% EVOO which was greener at first, but then lightened to a more whitish colour. View attachment 42138

Sorry for the poor photo quality... night time lighting is not the best. It kind of shows the pinkish layer across the middle.
View attachment 42139
Nice pink band! How old are the soaps in the second photo? The green EVOO is pretty, too.

Back