Indestructible dog toys?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I recently got a puppy. She's loves to chew - so I bought her a few chew toys. In a matter of hours she had them all torn to shreds. At about $5-6 a toy, I can't afford to keep buying her new ones. I decided it would be so easy to just make some myself, but she destroys them even faster than the store bought toys. Any one have any brilliant ideas for making toys that have a surviving chance against the puppy?

I buy the hard rubber toys, like the Kong, for my dog. She doesn't like them as much as the toys she can completely tear to shreds, but she hasn't been able to destroy one yet.

I made a bunch of toys out of sturdier frabric. My dogs still tore them and ripped the stuffing out, but i'd just gather the stuffing, put it back in the toy and re-sew it where it had been ripped. It's cheaper and easier than making new toys everytime they get destroyed.

I just got a new puppy he is six weeks old and thankfully doesn't destroy anything........yet! I get his toys from petco

pepperi27 said:
I just got a new puppy he is six weeks old and thankfully doesn't destroy anything........yet! I get his toys from petco

What kind of puppy?

My problem with puppies is finding toys they can't shred into tiny, microscopic pieces. I have hardwood floors all throught my house, but my dog always liked to sit on the shag carpet rug and chew toys or sticks into tiny pieces that would get stuck in the rug. They are impossible to vacuum up so I pretty much had to pick them out by hand.

I buy real beef knuckle bones for my puppies/dogs and they love those! Most anything else and they destroy it. Mine didn't seem to care much for Kongs, although they've never destroyed one. I did buy a bone recently at Walmart that they love - can't remember the name of it! Ugh!! It's got bumps in the middle - it's a plastic-type material, but they have not been able to destroy it and they LOVE it! :)

copper said:
I made a bunch of toys out of sturdier frabric. My dogs still tore them and ripped the stuffing out, but i'd just gather the stuffing, put it back in the toy and re-sew it where it had been ripped. It's cheaper and easier than making new toys everytime they get destroyed.

I usually opt for the re-sewing trick as well. Sometimes my dog can destroy a toy in 20 minutes. It seems like such a waste to just throw it away.

Cathy8 said:
pepperi27 said:

What kind of puppy?

He is (get ready!) half chihuahua/rottweiler.

Oh wow. That's quite a mix. How big is he? What does he look more like? You should just post some pictures.

Back