Increasing the transparency of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasser

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum, lots of interesting subjects .. I’ve been playing with transparent soap recipes for about a month now, I finally manages to get a good solid bar that does pass the transparency test “reading font 14 through a 1/4 inch”, it is even more transparent than that, I could read font 8 easily through the slab, still Im not very happy with the result, it has a yellow hue “light honey color” ..I am trying to increase the transparency of the soap, getting it as close as possible to glass .. Can this be done? Any experience in that ?

Thanks

watch your temps. use surfactant (sls/sles). it will help a great deal with getting rid of that yellow hue.

Thanks a lot, my temp is around 160-170 during the whole process.. SLS, SELS .. Can't find these easily.. I'm using Palm, castor, coconut and some strearic acid, U think maybe the palm could be causing that ?

i would suggest going lower than 170. try to keep it somewhere around 165 max. i'm not used to fahrenheit :D to sum it up, try to keep it not exceeding 74 celcius. i would ditch the palm if i were you and replace with stearic. sorry to say, but if you want a real transparent soap w/o any hint of yellow, you're gonna need a surfactant like SLS or SLES :)

LOL.. I'm not used to Fahrenheit either .. I had to change it from C.. :) . So yes, will try again at 70-74, but during the solvents phase it might go a bit higher .. As per the SLS and the SLES, I'll try to get some from a chemist friend, any idea how much should I add ? Any pointers ? Thank you very much..

Back