Increase super fat or soft oils to increase moisture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou all so much for your wisdom! I have all my soaps lined up on my craft table waiting to be cured. I do enjoy using the small ends I cut off to try in advance but it’s good to know they will improve after curing. I’m making the lard recipe now that was recommended by one of you. I’m excited to be able to test all these different recipes and hopefully be able to settle on one that meets my needs. I’m not making soap to sell but only for me and my family and my goal is to formulate a recipe that is luxurious, creamy and moisturizing along with being nice and firm.

Thankyou all so much for your wisdom! I have all my soaps lined up on my craft table waiting to be cured. I do enjoy using the small ends I cut off to try in advance but it’s good to know they will improve after curing. I’m making the lard recipe now that was recommended by one of you. I’m excited to be able to test all these different recipes and hopefully be able to settle on one that meets my needs. I’m not making soap to sell but only for me and my family and my goal is to formulate a recipe that is luxurious, creamy and moisturizing along with being nice and firm.

Try this:

Lard 65%
Coconut Oil 15%
Olive Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5%

Try this:

Lard 65%
Coconut Oil 15%
Olive Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5%
I will try that next!! I work the next 6 days 12 hour shifts but look forward to trying my next batch next week!
Today’s recipe is babassu 10%, coconut 5%, lard 40%, shea 5%, cocoa 5%, olive 20%, avocado oil 10%, castor oil 5% with goats milk as the liquid.
I went out and bought a cheap 4qt crockpot from Walmart today that works much better!
After I do my 6th batch next week, I’ll line them all up and take a pic to post, however I have no idea how to post pics on here.
And mine aren’t fancy, just rustic looking. I’m more about the quality of a product and not so much in to how something looks.

Technically you cannot make soap more moisturizing, you can just make it less stripping. You have 22% of stripping oils in there. It might just be too high for you. I would reduce it down to 18%. A higher super fat doesn't necessarily make it better 4 dry skin. I actually make mine with 2% super fat and less coconut oil so that I get more soap out of it so to speak, but it is not a stripping. Some people are sensitive to coconut oil so you might just try 18 or 17% babasau oil instead as a little experiment. On a side note if you're not using citric acid, sodium citrate, or EDTA you might be having some soap scum if your water is hard. Soap scum left on the skin can make you itch and feel dried out and kind of flaky as well. I use sodium citrate and it helped that issue also.

I would like to try sodium citrate. Can you recommend a percentage?

I would like to try sodium citrate. Can you recommend a percentage?

Sure! I use 2% ppo. So for my 1 lb mold (which does hold more than 1 lb, and I like a little extra to pour into a round individual mold for testing), I use 18 oz of oils. So 2% of that, I use .36 oz of sodium citrate dissolved in my water before adding lye to it.

Latest posts

Back