In the pot swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

Reaction score
I had fun making this one. Going for an ocean theme. Did a in the pot swirl. I have a problem with being patient, I wish I had waited a little longer to pour the other colors into the pot but still came out good. Would like to try for a thicker batter and see what effect that gives. I stirred it a bit much, would do three down to one.

Any in the pot swirl tips?

I used Mad Micas Key West Blue mixed with a smidge of Twilight for the darker blue, Blue Tide for the light blue, Astro for the green, and Snow white for the white. Also used Honey Blush from nuture soap for sand mixed with BB walnut shells.

NG cool waters fo was used. I really liked it, behaved very well. No problems whatsoever. Typical man cologne scent. Maybe my sniffer is broken but reminded me of BB mahogany. I even soaped higher at 115 120 and acceleration wasn't an issue.

20200811_173312.jpg

Very per-tee! Well done. And how did you make the sandy beach part?

I portioned off 12 oz of my batter (out of 50 oz total). Blended in the dispersed honey blush mica with a mini whisk, then stick blended until it was medium trace. Then added my walnut shells and hand stirred again.

Poured it into my mold and attempted to let it set up enough where I could make little peaks and divets with a spoon. I then poured the "water" portion over a spatula so it would disturb the sand too much.

Beautiful! I made one similar in the past. I didn't have walnut shells and used dried orange peel for the sand.

Did the orange peel give a similar looking effect as the a alnut shells? Was the orange peel some you dried or was it fresh like zest?

Thanks gardengeek! The color scheme works well.

Use to think I was a patient person until I started soaping lol Thing is I know I'm rushing things and that I should slow down but I don't, usually to regret it later. Grrr

My stick blender is too big for my two cup size funnel pitchers to allow it to burp, I know if I blend it in those cups it'll get air bubbles. I should see if they have a mini size blender of sorts...

@Ant I just ordered a SB I saw on one of I Dream of Soap's Youtube videos. It plugs in as opposed to battery operated. It was about $18 on Amazon. I haven't used it yet, but the quality feels nice. If you want my old battery operated one you can have it (I have two).

Did the orange peel give a similar looking effect as the a alnut shells? Was the orange peel some you dried or was it fresh like zest?
I’ve used store bought dried orange peel and peel I dried myself. The result was very similar to the walnut shells.

I use dried orange and dried lemon peel a lot in my soaps.

@Ant I just ordered a SB I saw on one of I Dream of Soap's Youtube videos. It plugs in as opposed to battery operated. It was about $18 on Amazon. I haven't used it yet, but the quality feels nice. If you want my old battery operated one you can have it (I have two).
Would you share which one you purchased on Amazon? I’m looking for ones to compare. Thanks.

I just ordered a SB I saw on one of I Dream of Soap's Youtube videos.

What stick blender was it on Amazon? Like a standard sized blender or one of those mini milk frother ones? And thank you for offering your old one but you keep it. Never know when you'll need the backups :)

Oh okay. Let us know how it works for you! The high viscosity tip is very interesting. I wonder if they could move some soap and help speed up trace.

Wow! This looks great. I attempted to do something similar but it was a huge fail after watching a YouTube on CP and MP combos. My sand was CP and the water was MP. The color of the sand was crazy off and looks gross, lol! The only thing I had on hand to give it texture was poppy seeds. They would have been ok if the soap color wasn't so awful.I really like your sand. I did shades/layers of blue in clear MP for the water. Then got the bright idea to use some white MP with orange and yellow swirled in it to look like sun setting in the sky. In my mind it looked great, but in person not so much... Live and learn, right? Anyway, yours are beautiful :)

Back