In search of an HE (High Efficiency) laundry soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that recipe you linked to, she says she grates her soap with a food processor. I'm not sure about the hardness of he Fels Naptha, though. This CO soap is hardhardhard. Ah well, now I don't have a food processor. The salad shooter looks like a possibility...and probably cheaper than another food processor. Now that I destroyed his big food processor, I'm a little leery of buying another thing to destroy...

Check thrift stores. I've never grated 100% CO soap so I'm not sure how it will do in a salad shooter. I'd probably stick with hand grating the really hard bars, it only take a few minutes. fels naptha is softer, grates really easy.

I use a hand grater on my 100% coconut oil soap. It's a box type grater and I grate on the larger holes. It takes less than half an hour to grate up what I need to fill a big coffee tub with mix that lasts a few months. The soap is hard enough that I would be afraid to try a food processor, but it's not that bad.

On the third or fourth day I grate CO laundry soap , it is still soft then let it cure on huge plastic plate, moving it a bit every day or when I am downstairs in laundry room. When it cures enough like 3-4 weeks I put it in the food processor with borax and washing soda and baking soda.
Yesterday i gave a box of that to my son, his eczema is not so bad anymore. I left some bars, it seems to work well with the sponge for hand washing dishes;)
HE-high efficiency washers top and front loaders require low suds and what I make is low suds. I am using it for a year and have no problem with it.

Grate your soap by hand before it's fully cured, and then it powders easily when it's dry and is much much easier to grate than when it's hard.

just my luck. all the soap bits and ends that i want to use are fully cured.

has anyone here tried making laundry powder using the end cuts that have SF?

Latest posts

Back