In need of suggestions ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
Hello all ... need some suggestions and I thought this group would be a great place to ask!

I'm in charge of a Secret Santa type gift swap this holiday season. The reason I say 'type' is because it's really a mix of your typical Secret Santa (gift exchange) and Secret Pal.

My idea/intention:
Each person will have the name of another participant, and for the 5 weeks leading up to Christmas, they'll give their person a small ($1) gift, without letting their person know who they are. (like a Secret Pal group)
Then, Christmas week, they'll give their person their final gift ($5) and then reveal who they are. (like a Secret Santa gift exchange)

Where I need help is this: I had intended to call this "Secret Santa" ... BUT if I do, what should the people getting the gifts be called? In a Secret Pal, both sides are called 'Pals' but the "Secret Santa" only refers to the giver. What should I call the recipient? When I print up the directions for everyone, it'd be kind of lame to just say 'the person you're giving your gift to' ... or ... 'your recipient'. See what I mean?

I've got lots more details to flesh this out, but this one thing has me stumped. It's like my creativity has hit a brick wall with this. :(

So ... any creative ideas? Any help on this would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

(This is for a senior community, so it will be played by seniors 55-90.)

What should I call the recipient?

The recipient, the receiver. Seriously, why does it have to be cutesy? Or just do a White Elephant...everyone has a $10 budget, you buy it, wrap it, stick it in a pile. Everyone gets a number. The first person chooses and opens a gift from the pile, the second person gets to choose either the first person's gift or a new gift. The third and so forth person gets to choose a girt that has already been opened or a new gift. You continue until the last gift has been opened.

Of course soap is the perfect gift' for both gifts. It fits the bill across the board. What ive done is look at the dollar stores for the perfect container for your soap' I've found the cutest wired christmas novelty items to hold soap for a buck' put a lux face cloth & its a beautiful gift for practically nothing. As far as the Dollar gift' put 1 bar of soap in a pretty box or gift bag.

We did this same thing every year where I worked when in my 20s and, as a single gal with no family, I loved it. It was SO much stinkin' fun to come into work everyday, or come back from lunch, and find a little trinket on my desk. There were 200+ employees in one building and we did it everyday of the week, the week before Christmas. Oh, it was like a week long party, I tell ya. I'm pretty sure we called it "Secret Friend" and "Santa" and "Santa's Friend". SO much fun!!! LOLOL

Edited to add: OK, so it was fun until they "forced" me to be Santa's elf one year at the company Christmas party. Our "Secret Santa and Friends" was a little more elaborate, with the final gift giving being done by "Santa" at the Christmas party held in the meeting auditorium on the Friday. I looked absolutely ridiculous. LOL I'll see if I can find a picture....

Thanks guys! I think I'm going with the elves theme ... kinda solves the issue. :) That sounds like it was SUPER fun, KimW!

The recipient, the receiver. Seriously, why does it have to be cutesy? Or just do a White Elephant...everyone has a $10 budget, you buy it, wrap it, stick it in a pile. Everyone gets a number. The first person chooses and opens a gift from the pile, the second person gets to choose either the first person's gift or a new gift. The third and so forth person gets to choose a girt that has already been opened or a new gift. You continue until the last gift has been opened.
lol ... not really trying to be cutesy ... recipient just sounds super formal to me, especially for a low-income (and questionable education) group. As for doing a White Elephant ... with Covid we can't have group get-togethers - especially with seniors - which is why I'm trying to do something as close to that as possible. Without having them all grouped together at the same time.

Thanks again everyone!

not really trying to be cutesy ... recipient just sounds super formal to me, especially for a low-income (and questionable education) group.

Wow...I am just blown away by this! Since when does income have anything to do with how educated a person is?

Back