in need of option

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotts71

Reaction score
I have put this thru the soapcalc and it seem the numbers look god but would lke some options about this please...

2 oz sweet almond
16 coconut oil
34 oz crisco
16 oz pko

10.14 lye
25.84 water

harness - 48
cleansing - 26
condition - 50
bubbly - 26
creamy - 17
iodine - 63
ins - 151

lauric - 19
myristic - 7
palmatic - 10
stearic - 7
ricinoleic - 0
oleic - 21
linoleic - 27
linilenic - 1

options on tweeking?-- ive pulled everything out to try this out-- (im out of oo and itching to make some--- want to d a coffee/peppermint kitchen soap-- im out and need more--lol)

thanks for any suggestions!-- Dont want this to be toooo drying on my hands.

I ran your recipe through Soapcalc and got the following values:

hardness - 48
cleansing - 30
condition - 44
bubbly - 30
creamy - 18
iodine - 66
ins - 164

lauric - 22
myristic - 8
palmatic - 11
stearic - 7
ricinoleic - 0
oleic - 17
linoleic - 27
linilenic - 0

Some of the more seasoned folks can verify this, but the only thing that looks possibly a bit high is the cleansing value, but it's a kitchen soap....

Perhaps go up a little bit on the Crisco and down a tad on the PKO if you want to keep the cleansing number lower, otherwise, for a kitchen soap I personally like the values.

PKO and coconut oil are very similar so you may want to think of them as a single oil when sorting out in your mind what a soap will be like. With a typical 5-7% superfat this will likely be quite drying. You can modify that by increasing your crisco or adding some olive or safflower oil perhaps. Or you can try increasing your superfat to 10% or more.

BUT my primary concern is that I don't recommend a recipe that is 98% "hard oils" (i.e., solid at room temperature) for a beginner recipe. These can misbehave (for example, you can get false trace) and you need to soap them warm (increasing the risk of accelerated trace).

oh thank you so much for the advise--- i like using the coffee and peppermint in the kitchen soap. the last batch i made i did put oo in it and loved it.-- but the itch is strong and im out of oo--lol---I have gifted it to a few cowboy/mechanics and they loved it too-- they sneek it out of the house when im not looking--lol So company will be over in a few weeks so I thought i'd stock up for them to sneek it out again. (I tell them i will gift it to them for bdays or xmas--lol-- that why they sneek it--lol I dont mind really--lol)

Increasing the crisco-- what % should that type of oil be in refrence to they other types-- (not asking for a specific oz to my recipe but like crisco should 68% of total oils if you use hard oils or if using coconut at 25% of recipe then crisco should be 38%-- -something along those lines-thoses are just expample --)

I think i want something to really get the grit off but not feel like your hands are too dry afterwards.-- I will be adding coffee ground to it for an abbrasive to add in the cleaning-- thats what i did on the last one it was nice. I just looking to try to use the stuff i have in house and not have to go buy anything yet-- it too hot to have stuff shipped here at the moment-- its over 100 durning the day.

Poppy seeds work quite well, as does cornmeal. There are lots of things around the place you can use, even tea leaves out of a tea bag will give you that scrubby feel.

Latest posts

Back