in need of major help!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotts71

Reaction score
I made a batch approx 3lbs and used goats milk-- now I used canned milk and since its condensed I mixed the lye with the water and added the milk to the oils. mixed all together and added fo and traced nicley.

So what the prob?-- well it seems the lye has setteled on the bottom of the mold and looks like corn meal or gritts. the top service looks great and all the way thru. I did gel the soap to complete gel. It is 3 days out of mold. Durning gel stage it smelled like a perm very strong lye smell I asumed. The scent has started to come back but very concerned with the lye on the on the bottom. I know it lye from the tonge test---yea I spit and did several mouth rinses.

what can I do with this? will try to post pics if I can figure it out.

edt: ok can't figure it out. I have them on a different site so pm me if want to see pics

Someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong, but your soap sounds unsafe to use, and needs to be disposed of. The lye on the bottom....I don't think you can easily fix that. :(

Sorry.

Maybe it's time to learn how to rebatch. You very rarely have to throw out a batch. It can usually be remedied. I know there are many threads to follow on rebatching. I have only had to rebatch once so I don't know how to help. First of all you have to figure out the problem and remedy it.

You should check your recipe and the amounts of everything. Maybe you will just have to add a little more oil. You may have to post your recipe to get any concrete help. Did you try the tongue zap test? Maybe you thought you were at trace and you weren't. HTH. Laurie

In need of major help!!

It sounds like your lye did not dissolve completely in the water and thus settled out in the soap mold. If you use a clear plastic pitcher to dissolve your lye and water always check before adding to the oils...you should not see any lye particles, only clear liquid. :(
sorry, I don't think you can safely save it now.

Laurie said:
Maybe it's time to learn how to rebatch. You very rarely have to throw out a batch. It can usually be remedied. I know there are many threads to follow on rebatching. I have only had to rebatch once so I don't know how to help. First of all you have to figure out the problem and remedy it.

You should check your recipe and the amounts of everything. Maybe you will just have to add a little more oil. You may have to post your recipe to get any concrete help. Did you try the tongue zap test? Maybe you thought you were at trace and you weren't. HTH. Laurie

recipe is the same as i have made before. the only difference is that i added milk seperate from water so the lye liquid was half so to speak. yes tongue test and yes i got zapped.

I agree with reallyrita that the soap might not be safe to use. It almost looks as if it curdled the milk. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sudsy Bubbles

I guess I would hate to throw anything out without at least trying. LOL :D
If it were me I would don rubber gloves and grate it in the pot, maybe add a little liquid and/or oil and try and cook it. Then if it didn't work I'd chuck it, IMHO.

Laurie

Laurie said:
I guess I would hate to throw anything out without at least trying. LOL :D
If it were me I would don rubber gloves and grate it in the pot, maybe add a little liquid and/or oil and try and cook it. Then if it didn't work I'd chuck it, IMHO.

Laurie

my first rebatch went ok-- dont know for sure-- threw it away ( it was from the stinky fish soap-- I could still smell it) I did the boil in the bag and not sure if I even did it right but will try to shave this one or chunk it in the crock pot. I think I will try to rebatch it if not right then I will throw it away

Hi, I know you said this is a recipe you used before, but I always even though I use basically the same recipe, I always run it through a lye calculator like on thesage.com. So when you deciede to add the milk, did you measure it into your recipe as part of the liquid amount?

I say this be cause when I use fresh goats milk, I caclulate the milk as part of my liquid, set it aside, and mix water and lye, let it disolve and cool. I room temp soap. So when i start blending everything together, the milk is one of the last things added before I start looking for trace.

I wouldn't think rebatching this soap would help. The only times I have had seperation like this is when my measurements of lye were off.

I'm sorry, as much as I hate to throw a batch out, I think this one I would.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sheryl

goatsmilk soap

howdy!

i came by a wonderful book called "milk-based soaps" by casey makela at storey publishing- www.storey.com (105 pages)

i have been toying with the idea of milk soaps, and she was very thorough on how to prepare your milk (freezing first), how to add lye slowly in an ice bath, etc.

you may wish to check it out.

monet

Latest posts

Back