In Need of Camera Recommendations (Video)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

I had the first casualty of the new year. I record my soapmaking videos on my phone (because I'm cheap and scared of "real" cameras) and when I was making a soap yesterday, the phone slipped out of the tripod holder and shattered on the floor. So now I am in need of a new phone and a real camera!

I am completely clueless about what to look for in the camera department, so I'm hoping someone here can give a recommendation. Here's my criteria:
1. it has to be able to upload to YouTube
2. it has to be pretty brainless to use
3. it has to be fairly inexpensive ($250 USD is my upper limit for the expenditure at this time)

I hope posting here will remind me to dig out my camera and give you a full recommendation. I have a fujifilm camera that I bought in September for a trip to Greece. With the memory card, I think the whole shebang was $200 at Best Buy. Love it.

Stats I remember off hand:
Waterproof
Shake proof /drop proof
15 megapixel (or close to)
WiFi
Has an app to directly transfer pics to my phone (hence the WiFi)
The app can turn your phone into a remote for the camera (for those pesky family pics)

I’ll dig it out when I have a chance to get you the model number to look up. I think it’s my most favorite camera I’ve ever had

Edit:
It’s a FujiFilm FinePix XP130

I haven’t intentionally used it for video. But there are three buttons on top: record, on/off, still picture. The record and power button are very close together and I’ve recorded videos when meaning to turn off the camera. Quality is nice from the clips I’ve made even if they look like a two year old grabbed the camera. The label on front advertises “full HD movie” and there was a display model in the store if you’d like to go in and test it.

My only real complaint is that the buttons aren’t intuitive to me, but my last few cameras were all Sony. I’m sure with time I’ll get used to the different configuration

Last edited:
@dibbles thanks for the link! Looks like lots of reading ahead of me.

@BattleGnome thanks for the recommendation! I'll check that out. The drop proof sounds like it might be my kind of camera ;)

If you don't need pro quality video, a lot of "point and shoot" cameras can do decent video nowadays. I have a Panasonic Lumix that's a few years old and it works great for amateur video. Just get a big enough memory card. ;)

Latest posts

Back