In Need of Alternatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
Two of my main FO and colorant suppliers have been Brambleberry and Rustic Escentuals with RE having the bulk. Last week I went to place an order with RE and the shipping rates were outrageous...almost double of what I was going to pay for a similar order at BB and their bottles are glass instead of plastic. I do my best to keep my costs down without sacrificing the quality of my soap and usually I can do that by buying in larger quantities, but I also have a budget that I need to work within until such time the business is fully paying for itself.

I was fairly easy to alternatives for the colorants, but FOs are a bit more tricky. Below is a list of RE's FOs that I would like to find alternatives for. I know that it seems like a lot, but I have stripped it down based on sales, personal favorites and what folks generally fight over when I do a soap giveaway. My preference would be to have a single supplier if possible, and I understand that finding an alternative may not possible...at which point I am going to have to make a decision. I know that I am capable of going through all the various suppliers myself, but I am hoping to reduce costs in terms of time and ordering multiple FO in seeking your experience. Thank you in advance.

Barbershop 1920`s
Black Cherry
Cantaloupe
Cranberry Salsa
Green Apple
Honeysuckle
Jasmine
Lemon Verbena
Lilac
Silent Night
Snickerdoodle
Vanilla Bean

I can't help you with many of your listed fragrances, but my sister loves lemon verbena and RE does have a nice one. Sweet Cakes Lemon Verbena was my next favorite.

There are two vanillas at Elements B&B - Vanilla and Antahala Vanilla. Both are very nice and I go back and forth on which I like best. Vanilla is just that and Antahala Vanilla is vanilla and something extra. Both stick well.

For Jasmine I like The Grim Reaper from NS. Fragrance Buddy also has a version called Rotten.

This doesn't really help you in your search for a single supplier. I would check into Fragrance Buddy though. They have a lot of FOs, reasonable prices, reasonable shipping and I've had very good luck with the quality.

Rustic Escentuals was acquired by WSP last year, and so did Element’s Bath and Body. I wonder if that is why the shipping went up, though in general it increases around this time.

about the fragrances, I have tried Jasmine from Nature’s garden and did not like it at all. I gave it away. However the one from Lone Star candle smelled ok out of the bottle, and so did their lilac, but I am not a floral fragrance person, so I really can’t tell if they are very good or not. I bought cantaloupe from Lone star and it smells very strange out of the bottle (Alcohol notes), I need to test it though.
NDA lemongrass verbena (not lemon though) is one of my favorite fragrances ever.

My second favorite fragrance supplier after Nurture is Fragrance Buddy. They only sell fragrances, so not a one-stop shop for supplies, but the fragrances I have tried I have liked for the most part. I just did a spot check, and they have cantaloupe, lemon verbena, and about 15 different cranberry fragrances. You might want to check them out.

Rustic Escentuals was acquired by WSP last year, and so did Element’s Bath and Body. I wonder if that is why the shipping went up, though in general it increases around this time.

about the fragrances, I have tried Jasmine from Nature’s garden and did not like it at all. I gave it away. However the one from Lone Star candle smelled ok out of the bottle, and so did their lilac, but I am not a floral fragrance person, so I really can’t tell if they are very good or not. I bought cantaloupe from Lone star and it smells very strange out of the bottle (Alcohol notes), I need to test it though.
NDA lemongrass verbena (not lemon though) is one of my favorite fragrances ever.
Let me know how you like the cantaloupe. A friend asked me for a cantaloupe scented soap

@TheGecko Shay & Co here in Portland is selling quite a few fragrances these days. I haven't used them so can't speak for the quality, but they're local, so no shipping. I've been happy with the quality of their other products. Have you tried any of their fragrances yet?

I love Shay & Co, it's where I purchase many of base supplies (oils, butters, lye, etc). I have tried a few of their FOs and was very happy with the quality. Looks like they have added a few more since I last visited...I'll have to give their Lemon Verbena and Jasmine a try, along with their two Cranberry selections.

Shoot...looks like I will have to be late to work one day. Thanks for reminding them about them.

My second favorite fragrance supplier after Nurture is Fragrance Buddy. They only sell fragrances, so not a one-stop shop for supplies, but the fragrances I have tried I have liked for the most part. I just did a spot check, and they have cantaloupe, lemon verbena, and about 15 different cranberry fragrances. You might want to check them out.

Wow...their selection is quite extensive. Thanks for the recommendation.

In fact...thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Being pragmatic, I didn't think it was going to be easy to find alternative, but it never hurts to hope.

I'll have to give their Lemon Verbena and Jasmine a try, along with their two Cranberry selections.
I have used Shay's Jasmine and love the way it smells. But be forewarned: it does accelerate even though their website says it doesn't. It's not a big problem just so long as you know to expect it.

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback on other of their fragrances you might use.

I have used Shay's Jasmine and love the way it smells. But be forewarned: it does accelerate even though their website says it doesn't. It's not a big problem just so long as you know to expect it.

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback on other of their fragrances you might use.

This is what I have:

Jasmine (not used...thanks for the warning)
Rose (love, love, love...smells just like the roses from my garden, no issues with it)
Bay Rum (used at 5%...light, but long lasting. Brought back memories of my Grandpa W)
Pomegranate (not used...it smells light OBB)
Tobacco Bay Leaf (not used...it smells light OBB)

Ylang Ylang EO (not used because...hello $6.00 for a freaking half an ounce and I don't have a lot of experience with EO so I want to make sure I use it safely, but the smell OBB is wonderful. I'm thinking...deep yellow with swirls of while and green.

ETA - I forgot about Almond. Another one I haven't used yet, but it smells like it's supposed too but not overwhelming.

This is what I have:
Jasmine (not used...thanks for the warning)
Rose (love, love, love...smells just like the roses from my garden, no issues with it)
Bay Rum (used at 5%...light, but long lasting. Brought back memories of my Grandpa W)
Pomegranate (not used...it smells light OBB)
Tobacco Bay Leaf (not used...it smells light OBB)
Ylang Ylang EO (not used because...hello $6.00 for a freaking half an ounce and I don't have a lot of experience with EO so I want to make sure I use it safely, but the smell OBB is wonderful. I'm thinking...deep yellow with swirls of while and green.
ETA - I forgot about Almond. Another one I haven't used yet, but it smells like it's supposed too but not overwhelming.
Thanks for your thoughts on all these. I forgot to mention 2 other Shay FOs I've used:
Almond -- smells good and lasts well. Makes especially nice lotion bars as well.
Vanilla -- it's a decent sort of vanilla, adds a mellowing scent when mixed with other FOs. They call it "non-discoloring," but it does add a light tan to the soap.

Keep me posted as you try others of their FOs. I'd love to buy more locally, but I'm hesitant about how they'll behave after the "non-accelerating" jasmine accelerated and the "non-discoloring" vanilla discolored.

Back