In general, how big are batches for selling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

For those of you that sell your soaps...what is the minimum size batch you make of each one? Just wondering what size molds I need to get...how many soaps would be too little for selling and what would be too much (in order to sell them fresh)? Thanks so much for the help!

After I'd been soaping for about a year (generally good to be soaping at least a year before selling) and had moved on from the small silicone molds to wooden loaf molds, I was doing 4 lb batches. Up to 24 lb batches now.

There's a conundrum in business scaling, either you buy too small, are too successful and have to reinvest soon to get bigger, or you go too big and waste your money! It's a tough call. What sort of business do you want to get in to? Something where you do a local farmers market, or a full scale wholesale model?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Thanks for the advice! I have been soap for a year and done pretty well just selling at little craft fairs and among friends, etc. Wanted to do online and in order to keep the cost down and keep up with demand (which is hard to guess ahead of time) was trying to figure out how big my batches would be since the cure time is so long.

I do 8 lb batches. That gives me two 3 lb big bar loaves and a 2 lb guest bar loaf. That equates to 28 full size bars and 30 guest size bars. Some scents outsell the others so keeping the right amount is often difficult and unfortunately you can't predict how many bars you'll sell in what amount of time.

Next year I'll be scaling production up in order to save time. An extra loaf of big bars would help a lot!

For me, just getting started up again, 4# batches seem about right. When business gets going, I'll up to about 12-15#, but that's a good way off for me now.

There really is not set size. Every business has different customers and the amount they sell. I do small batchs of 3.5 lbs, but I soap A LOT! And get about 9 or so bars out of each batch. Which is fine for me!

I do 5lb batches 6 at a time. I like the smaller batches and I have more control. I do have a 6 lb and 12 lb slab mold that I use for my biggest sellers just to keep enough in stock.

I made my soap molds myself and ea one holds about 9#s and I make 3 different scents every time I soap. I started off with an 8 bar mold and then made a 16 bar mold and now I have my larger loaf molds.

When starting just go with what you can afford. Most of my molds are made here at home so I can be sure they work with my Tank and custom log splitter. When making big batches I don't worry about selling "fresh" aged bars are always better IMO

Agree that aged bars are always better - depending on what you mean by 'fresh' that could mean too short a cure.

I make 6-lb batches, two or three at a time. Curious to hear how those of you who use biiiiiiggggg molds handle them. I'm a small person, and I don't know if I could easily heft and handle a 12-lb mold full of soap. Then again, it could count as lots more exercise!

6 lbs is easy for me in a small kitchen. I can fit the bowls in the microwave, and my small crockpot can handle that size batch. Any bigger and I'd have to overhaul my methods. How do y'all who do large sizes work in your kitchen/workshop? What kinds of tools and containers?

Last edited:
Paillo, When I had my business before and made 15# batches, I used 3 of my 5# molds per batch.

For melting the oils & fats I used a large stockpot I got from Dollar General for $10. I could also still use my stickblender since the pot was wide. Back then I did Oven Hot Process in that same stockpot.

I am new at selling and have been make soap using my 2lb molds which yields about 8-9 bars. I'm content with that since I have more control and helps me gauge what is popular among my customers.

Latest posts

Back