In a quandry...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
My hubby, whom I love very much, tried to "help" by cutting soap loaves while I was at the Dr. Only problem is, his bars aren't exactly equal...lol...they range from 2.7 oz to 4.6 oz.
I really needed these to be saleable, for a small farmers' market I do twice a month. Would it be a bad thing to label them, and charge say, $1 an oz.? That would, most likely, sell off the smaller bars, and I'd have the larger bars for inventory. Or label the bars under 4 oz "travel size" with a set price?
I have about 50 lbs that he cut, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Back in the days when I actually *bought* soap, I liked the ritual of looking through the sizes and finding the right one in the right fragrance at Whole Foods type places, plus I liked the smaller sizes b/c they let me try things out. The only bad part is that it seems like it would be more of a pain for you, but maybe no way around it at this point? Make the hub do the work!

Bless his heart.

How many and how much of a range are we talking? I think it might be a PITA to have some bars that are $2 and some that are $2.50 and some that are $3, etc. But maybe not.

We're talking a lot...lol...about 50 lbs he cut, at anywhere from 2.7 to 4.6 oz. each. I figure it'll be a big PITA no matter what I do... I think the easiest way to do it is just take the under 4 oz bars and sell them at $2.50 ea. My regular customers would be more willing to try different scents. The only downfall to that is any new customers may think this is my normal way of doing business.

Bless his heart.

How many and how much of a range are we talking? I think it might be a PITA to have some bars that are $2 and some that are $2.50 and some that are $3, etc. But maybe not.

LOL without strict instructions not to, my hubby would SO do the same thing.

Hubby needs to buy himself (and that means you, too :) ) a Tank, or other multi bar cutter, so that all your bars will be uniform, and save you a lot of time, too. If you're making a lot of soap to sell, it's a really good investment. I used to get tired of my customers pawing through the bars, looking for the "big ones", so I got myself a Tank, and have considered it money well spent. I love that thing.

We're talking a lot...lol...about 50 lbs he cut, at anywhere from 2.7 to 4.6 oz. each. I figure it'll be a big PITA no matter what I do... I think the easiest way to do it is just take the under 4 oz bars and sell them at $2.50 ea. My regular customers would be more willing to try different scents. The only downfall to that is any new customers may think this is my normal way of doing business.

Just call them something like "odds and ends" or "miscuts" that way they will know it's not an everyday thing.

On another note- at least he was trying to help because he loves you. Hey mistakes happen with the best of intentions sometimes. I'm sure he feel terrible about it now. Don't be too hard on him.

Last edited:
That's a really good idea...thanks for that! I'm definitely not being hard on him. Since I've been without the use of my left hand for a few weeks now, he's made my life easier...in most ways...lol

Just call them something like "odds and ends" or "miscuts" that way they will know it's not an everyday thing.

On another note- at least he was trying to help because he loves you. Hey mistakes happen with the best of intentions sometimes. I'm sure he feel terrible about it now. Don't be too hard on him.

I have been curious if those of you who sell have ever tried or use a deli scale that prints labels? Seems like it would be a good way to go for those that sell by weight. I'm not sure of the variety of format choices though. I'm not sure they are available with smallish tapes.

Back