Impulse heat sealer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to get a sealer with a cutter? I’ve been viewing a few but they are pricey. Does the other dealers cut off the plastic even though it does not state that it has a cutter?

I don't find having a cutter is necessary at all. But if one is making soap in large quantities for sale it might be worth the cost. I don't know.

But for me, I have found that if you the setting on the heat sealer is a bit too high, it will 'cut' at the same time it seals. But it's a fine line between a seal and cut and not sealed completely. So I keep it at a temperature that seals and cut with scissors so I don't end up with an incomplete seal.

I don't find having a cutter is necessary at all. But if one is making soap in large quantities for sale it might be worth the cost. I don't know.

But for me, I have found that if you the setting on the heat sealer is a bit too high, it will 'cut' at the same time it seals. But it's a fine line between a seal and cut and not sealed completely. So I keep it at a temperature that seals and cut with scissors so I don't end up with an incomplete seal.
Yeah, for production it's almost a necessity. I wrap/seal 100's of bars at a time, and I just can't imagine the extra work/time/effort it would take to cut each seal when an inexpensive heat sealer/cutter will do it all in 1 step.

I saw this one on clearance. What do you think about it!

Attachments

• BA316B5F-CA40-496B-A6FF-04DCF32D1762.png
    BA316B5F-CA40-496B-A6FF-04DCF32D1762.png
    305.5 KB · Views: 19
I saw this one on clearance. What do you think about it!
Good price, but looks like it's just the sealer not a cutter. In order for it to cut, you would have to get a wire replacement kit with the wire cutter and not the wire sealer. But if you don't mind doing like earlene had suggested, and cutting the seal with scissors, I say go for it.

I've sealed tens of thousands of bags with my sealer (I use it for my small business as well as for soap), and I have seldom used its built-in cutter.

When I package soap or other products in shrink wrap bags, I set the heat adjustment high enough that I can separate the bag from the excess right along the hot seal line. It works really well after the heat setting is just right and a bit of practice. I don't want any excess shrink bag to keep my seams as tidy as possible.

I have to say, on the other hand, that I'm also of the opinion to "buy once and cry once." I don't buy bottom-dollar equipment that needs to be repaired or replaced often. I also don't care to buy "uni-tasker" tools that can only do one job well. For these reasons, I don't regret spending the few extra dollars on the sealer with the cutter. Sometimes we get customers with exacting requirements for packaging. It's good to have the sealer with the cutter so I can easily remove any excess bag, should a customer want that done. I'd hate to trim hundreds of bags with a scissors.

Another perspective -- One guy who has a business similar to mine said his rule of thumb about repetitive tasks is this -- If he's only going to do a particular job a handful of times, he does it the old-fashioned way by hand. If he is going to do the job 50 or more times, he buys or makes a tool or jig to make the job easier and faster. I agree with that philosophy as well. It would only take a few batches of soap bags that have to be trimmed with a scissors to justify a sealer with the cutter.

Last edited:
Is it absolutely necessary to get a sealer with a cutter? I’ve been viewing a few but they are pricey. Does the other dealers cut off the plastic even though it does not state that it has a cutter?
Ironically, I just bought a sealer without a cutter on amazon yesterday along with 4” x 6” bags. Will see how they work tomorrow. I already have a heat gun with a stand.

I also seal very large amounts of soap and have never used a sealer with the cutter. It takes me a second or so to cut off the excess with scissors. The other method of setting it high enough to separate the edge does work I just prefer scissors.

I wrap my soap at 4-6 weeks. It reduces scent loss, keeps the soap cleaner and tidier even in storage, and it's ready to be sold or given away at a moment's notice. If the bag gets a little loose, I lightly heat the plastic with the heat gun to shrink it tight again, and we're good to go.

One thing I should mention is the bag cutter on a heat sealer doesn't cut the excess bag off right next to the seal. Mine leaves about 1/4" of excess bag beyond the seal, and I imagine other cutters are similar.

One thing I should mention is the bag cutter on a heat sealer doesn't cut the excess bag off right next to the seal. Mine leaves about 1/4" of excess bag beyond the seal, and I imagine other cutters are similar.
Good to know!! Then you would still have to trim with scissors or have a rumple when you shrink.

When I took the workshop, the instructor said to never seal CP soap as it would sweat. If your soap is "shrinking" isn't that water evaporating that has nowhere to go?

I'm relatively new to making soap.
I've been making bath bombs for about a year.
I have a heat sealer just like the one pictured.
I believe I paid $15.50 for mine brand new on eBay.
What I do is just turn the temperature up on the sealer and after I seal the first few items I can easily pull the excess off while it is sealing the bag.
This does not require any extra cutting/trimming with scissors.
My first soap is a few months old and it hasn't shrunk or sweat one bit under my heat shrink bags.
I didn't even know they made a heat sealer with cutter. But after using this one I don't see why I would need one.

When I took the workshop, the instructor said to never seal CP soap as it would sweat. If your soap is "shrinking" isn't that water evaporating that has nowhere to go?
No, as I see it, the soap shrinking means the moisture does have a place to go, that's why the soap is shrinking. The water is most likely evaporating through the "sniffy" hole DeeAnna talks about.

I suspect the instructor has never tried it to really know what really does or doesn't happen. I package my soap at 4-6 weeks and I've been doing this for some years. The soap doesn't "sweat" or do crazy things after it's packaged -- it looks fine.

I'm sure the sniffy hole doesn't hurt, but occasionally I miss making a sniffy hole for a bar here and there. The lack of a hole doesn't seem to matter to the soap.

In fact, my packaged soap stays nicer in humid weather than soap I do not package. Naked soap sometimes gets slick on the surface from the humidity.

Latest posts

Back