Impressionist soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkisessence

Reaction score
Olive 85%
Castor 15%
Lye:Water 2.5:1
5%sf
No fragrance/essential oil (forgot)
Brown pigment .5 tsp cocoa powder
Blue pigment .5 tsp indigo powder
Straw color 1/8 tsp turmeric
Light green color dried water extract of grass

Notes: didn't use enough grass extract, color is too light.
Plumage of straw color doesn't appear well on picture. Essential oil blend of peppermint and spearmint oils omitted accidentally.

CIMG0767.jpg

Very pretty swirls.
Thank you for noting the colour amounts, that's very helpful.
Someone suggested putting the FO bottle in the mold which has saved me when I have remembered to put it there!
So annoying.

Very calming colors! These bars look like spa tiles or something - and I mean that in the most positive way.

Very nice! I just ordered some indigo and was really hoping it would arrive today, but alas the Holiday weekend has apparently slowed things down. UPS tracking has it coming on Tuesday. I have not even considered grass extract as a colorant. I'll have to give that some thought. Pretty, pretty, pretty.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging responses! Dibbles, thank you for remembering my hope to join the challenges. Penelopejane, your solution to my fragrance problem is great. Thank you for your comparison, snappyllama, sandstone lines are beautiful. Thank you, Blackdog! Earlene, chlorophyll is extracted by pulverizing the grass in a blender (1 cup packed grass to 2-4 Tbsp water), filtering out solids through coffee filter, and boiling liquid until it precipitates. Cool and collect precipitate in coffee filter. Let dry. I resuspended in oil but may try resuspending in a bit of water.I like indigo powder a lot! The amount I gave above was suspended in 1tsp base oils and then approx. 1 cup soap base at light trace was added for swirl. Best of luck with your Soaping adventures

Would you need a preservative if suspended in water? Maybe not if you used it all right away.

I used up all that I had and the color was quite light. If I were to do this again, I would keep the solid extract and resuspend just before use. When I would use the extract for chromatography, I would suspend in a solvent and use that solvent to separate the components of the pigment on silica or paper.

Back