Images in threads - encouraged

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Prysm

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I just want to say this so all members can see it. If you have an image or small video to upload to a post you are making - it is liked, appreciated and encouraged.
You can put an image in the media and share via a link to it in a thread if you wish or if you'll be using it a lot.

But, we do have the server space and encourage the images in a post. If an old time member says otherwise, they may be operating from old outlooks when we did not have as much server room. So, you can always refer them to this post so they can update their knowledge.

Now I'm off to look at some of your soap photos.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
What about the "what soapy thing did you do today" thread? Are photos still being discouraged there?

Edit: Just saw your answer over in that thread. Never mind. 😊 Thanks for putting out this reminder!

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the "what soapy thing did you do today" thread? Are photos still being discouraged there?

Edit: Just saw your answer over in that thread. Never mind. 😊 Thanks for putting out this reminder!
Can you link that post in What Soapy Things? I cannot find it and I went back several pages. I only found the one on What Bath & Body...

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LynetteO

Reaction score
I have no trouble finding the thread itself, it's the post that you mentioned that I cannot find. Are you sure you saw it there in the Soapy Things thread? I searched back several pages and there does not seem to be a post there from Prysm at all.
I too could not find the post. I looked through quite a few pages & did a search for @Prysm & was still unable to locate any reference to images in that particular thread.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I have no trouble finding the thread itself, it's the post that you mentioned that I cannot find. Are you sure you saw it there in the Soapy Things thread? I searched back several pages and there does not seem to be a post there from Prysm at all.
Oh my bad, I should have read your question better. I am unable to find it either. Maybe I saw it in the bath and body thread and thought I was on What Soapy Thing. 🤷‍♀️ Clarification, please, @Prysm! 😗

Reaction score
Post #249 in What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
If you have an image or small video to upload to a post you are making - it is liked, appreciated and encouraged.
You can put an image in the media and share via a link to it in a thread if you wish or if you'll be using it a lot.
You forgot to mention the Photo Gallery. This is just me, but I think it's the best place to show off your soap pictures for everyone to see! You can also use it as a log of every batch you make. How cool is that?! I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!
But, we do have the server space and encourage the images in a post. If an old time member says otherwise, they may be operating from old outlooks when we did not have as much server room. So, you can always refer them to this post so they can update their knowledge.
Good to know and duly noted! I'm one of those "old timers" (now previously) concerned about server space -- especially on the "What Soaping Thing..." thread that experiences a high amount of activity daily. This information takes a load off my mind... one less thing to worry about. 😁

Thank You.gif

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Post #249 in What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today.
Thank you for the link.

@Prysm RE: Post #2- #7 Relative to our recent discussion, this is a good example of how things get buried and are hard to recover in both of those types of threads .

@Misschief et al - It's not a problem if you don't care about losing it. If you do care, I would do what you did above and bookmark it for future retrieval. :thumbs: ;)

That's just a precaution based on what happened to me. (I've lost a lot of pithy comments there! Mine & others! ) I'm just saying, consider your decision in that light if you ever want to find your pictures, or someone else's, or some topic where one gives excellent advice to another member one day and that disappears quickly as it moves down the road to the next post, after next post, after next post. :oops:

ETA: As @Zing says, "Think positive intent" because that's what I'm all about and, unfortunately, often misunderstood it seems. Thank goodness, Prysm is helping me to do better in that regard. 🙏

Last edited:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the link.

@Prysm RE: Post #2- #7 Relative to our recent discussion, this is a good example of how things get buried and are hard to recover in both of those types of threads .

@Misschief et al - It's not a problem if you don't care about losing it. If you do care, I would do what you did above and bookmark it for future retrieval. :thumbs: ;)

That's just a precaution based on what happened to me. (I've lost a lot of pithy comments there! Mine & others! ) I'm just saying, consider your decision in that light if you ever want to find your pictures, or someone else's, or some topic where one gives excellent advice to another member one day and that disappears quickly as it moves down the road to the next post, after next post, after next post. :oops:

ETA: As @Zing says, "Think positive intent" because that's what I'm all about and, unfortunately, often misunderstood it seems. Thank goodness, Prysm is helping me to do better in that regard. 🙏
If a member uses the media section to save photos in their own albums, then attaches the media links for said images in whatever thread in which they wish to include an image, then the photos don't get 'lost.' Also, any member can search their own (as well as some other members') posts in the user's account pages under 'postings'.

I am not sure about how everyone else reads those longer threads or the forums themselves. I am sure there are other ways people read them than the way I do, but what I do is read the threads with new posts as that's how they appear. I open a thread with new posts and am taken to the first new post following the last post I have read on that thread. For me that works great and I don't have to go searching for old stuff in the thread unless someone makes a reference to something specific without actually using the quote/reply to/multi-quote functions. When they use one of those methods, no searching is required as link is built into the quote function.

So when someone says they have a really hard time keeping up with these long threads, I don't quite understand why, other than they must use a different method for reading the newer posts in each forum.

Back to the media section. Each member can make their own albums and also can categorize their uploaded images by tagging them, making them even easier to search, should they need to do so at some later date.

Reaction score
Great points, @earlene and I also read the bigger threads the same way. It's never a problem to go right to the first new-to-me post and continue from there.

And with the handy Search feature at the top of the page, finding comments or topics from yesterday or two years ago is quite easy.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
@earlene Ah HAH! I just found "What's New" and "Media" in the top Menu on this page next to "Forums". I had no idea those existed. 🥴 Thank you for taking the time to explain what those are for and how you use them.

Thank You.gif

And with the handy Search feature at the top of the page, finding comments or topics from yesterday or two years ago is quite easy.
I agree, it's a great feature, but not always that easy.

For example, there was an excellent Q & A discussion between you and another member about "How to Master Batch Lye" in the "What Soapy Thing..." thread. When I just now used the Search Button to find it, a lot of responses came up but not that particular one. Do you remember that discussion? I'd like to bookmark it if I can just find it.

What am I missing?

Prysm

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot to mention the Photo Gallery. This is just me, but I think it's the best place to show off your soap pictures for everyone to see! You can also use it as a log of every batch you make. How cool is that?! I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

Good to know and duly noted! I'm one of those "old timers" (now previously) concerned about server space -- especially on the "What Soaping Thing..." thread that experiences a high amount of activity daily. This information takes a load off my mind... one less thing to worry about. 😁

View attachment 68301

The photo gallery is an option or an addition. But the forum servers and software are especially set up to have images uploaded to a post to make it much more enjoyable to read and see without having to go anywhere else on the forum to see them. And you can make albums in the Media

And you can post in the Gallery also. But no one should tell anyone else on the forum not to post an image in their post in any area of the total forum.

Marsi

Reaction score
Apologies Prysm, for answering an off-topic question in your thread on photo's ...

For example, there was an excellent Q & A discussion between you and another member about "How to Master Batch Lye" in the "What Soapy Thing..." thread. When I just now used the Search Button to find it, a lot of responses came up but not that particular one. Do you remember that discussion? I'd like to bookmark it if I can just find it.

What am I missing?
Go into the thread, enter your search termp (eg. "master"), then change "Everywhere" to "Search this thread" in the dropdown menu to the right, then enter the name of the person who's post you are searching for. I suspect (if I have worked out correctly what you were trying to find), it will be the second post in the search list (from May 2022).

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Apologies Prysm, for answering an off-topic question in your thread on photo's ...

Go into the thread, enter your search termp (eg. "master"), then change "Everywhere" to "Search this thread" in the dropdown menu to the right, then enter the name of the person who's post you are searching for. I suspect (if I have worked out correctly what you were trying to find), it will be the second post in the search list (from May 2022).
Thank you for your reply, @Marsi. That's what I did and what I normally do when using the Search feature. That same response came up second when I did it too. BTW, when I selected the "Search Titles Only" option, I got no response. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. :oops:

But it's not the same one I remember where @AliOop had a one-on-one Q & A session with another member over several posts in succession. I hope she remembers it. She explained her process so clearly, it was so well done, and helpful -- I'd like to bookmark it for future reference. :thumbs:

While we have your attention @Prysm , and also with apologies for the hijack for asking an off-topic question,

RE: The "Members" option in the Menu at the top of this page:

Is there a way to find all the Colorado Members by State?
Is there a way to find all the Members listed by the year they joined?
Is 'Members listed in alphabetical order' an option?

I tried on different occasions to search all three of those without success. I'm thinking there must be a way. I just can't figure out how to do that. :rolleyes:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Prysm

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know of a way to search by state, or time started, ,but if you go to Members (not the drop down menus) it will open a page and if you click on registered members, you will see them in alphabetical order.

1661206694497.png

At the bottom of the page you can move to a specific page by using the numbers.

1661206775333.png

You can put your cursor on those 3 dots and get the option of putting in a different number so you don't have to NEXT until you're crazy.

1661206921543.png