I'm trying a weird recipe...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackofhearts

Reaction score
So, being a curious and strange sort, I think I would like to make a soap without OO or CO. Almost every recipe I've seen uses both of these. Here's my thoughts:

Castor 2oz
cocoa butter 2oz
avocado oil 2oz
jojoba oil 2oz
Lard 27oz

The main reasons for these amounts and these oils are that 1.) I love lard soaps & 2.) I have these on hand and would like to see what they're like.

Any thoughts would be welcome (even if you think I'm crazy!)

Thanks!

The only think I would say is to make sure your Castor oil is at 5% - you will need the help it gives for a lather boost. And I would add some sugar as well to the water before the lye (1 tsp ppo) to help with bubbles.

The only other thing is that those amounts of cocoa butter, avocado and jojoba seem very small - I wouldn't add anything that was less than 5% of the batch - I think whatever it brings would get lost at those low amounts.

The oil weight is 35oz making 2oz 5.71%. Is having all those oils worthwhile or convoluted? I've heard many people say that more than 4 oils is superfluous. I was planning on using sugar. I was thinking of 2tsp ppo but I guess that's too high. Also, I was planning on the standard 5% sf.
Thanks for the fast response!

Lol teach me for doing it in my head - but still, I think a bunch of 5% oils doesn't get you much.
If you find a reference for 2 tsp of sugar ppo then go for it - Im awful at remembering things :p

I use 1 TBSP PPO of sugar also.

Do yourself a favor, do a batch using at least 10% of one oil per batch, then compare to your current recipe. Then you will know for yourself whether the small amounts make a difference or not.

So I compromised on the sugar using 3 tsp for 2 lbs. oil. I'm curious to see what happens! Susie, I wish I had hit refresh before I started the recipe. Oh well... I made it! I was a little worried about it tracing in a timely manner but it took 8 1/2 minutes to thin trace. (Yes, I timed it. I'm weird that way I also logged it in my files.)
I'm so excited to see how it turns out! The numbers seem good (I like a REALLY low cleansing number as I have EXTREMELY dry skin due to a medication I was on 18 years ago). I've just never made a soap without olive nor coconut.

I wonder what I should try next...

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just meant that in the near future, make a batch with one of the 2 oz oils, but raise the amount per batch to 10%. Then repeat with the other oils. Then compare each of those to the batch you just made. Then you will know if you like those better or not. I can't tell you if you will love them or hate them. But after you test them, the YOU will know. And that is what is important.

That sounds like a fun experiment. I'll have to do that. Too bad they take at least 4 weeks to cure, though.

I write down all kinds of information on my recipe sheets. I don't keep trace time for my bar soaps, but I surely do on my liquid soaps. All information is useful. And you never know when you are going to have an issue that makes you go back to find out just that bit. So, no, writing trace time is not weird. It is a good thing.

I mix my sugar with 1 oz water that I subtracted from the total water, heat in the micro until the sugar melts(30 sec). Then add it to the oils. No burned sugar.

Back