Im sure i can fix it with beveling but...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My newly unmodled soap. I am sure i can bevel it out...

its a recipe that i have been using, but its been really humid here in fla. is this the problem? I havent had this problem until now.

F4DB3C1E-51C5-4015-91BC-54CD27225B12.jpeg

I love the design! I swear, I always turn my nose up at browns and neutrals when I'm designing my own soaps, but then I see someone on here do a brown/neutral design and I'm struck with awe!

I think you'll find in a few days the whole cut surface will begin to discolor as well (although sometimes discoloration can be splotchy). By the time it's cured you shouldn't see a difference. If you were to cut into the cured discolored bar though, you would see the inside would still be a lighter color. It's just the surfaces exposed to oxygen that turn.

Although, that being said, I have had a few loaves that have only discolored on the outside (due to fragrance as well)...it's very strange and I can't explain why or how it happened...but I don't necessarily think it looks bad either way!

I had that happen when I added ground up lavender buds to a batch of soap. The outside turned a really funky gray color with the inside a tan...sort of. No FO or EO in the soap at all, so it had to be just oxidation from the lavender. I ground it until it was a fine dusty powder and was very pleased that it incorporated well. The end result was no lavender scent at all and the funky gray color outside and tan inside. Althought my house smelled wonderful while I was grinding up the buds. After the cure I cut one of the bars in half and it still had some of the tan on the inside...which turned gray overnight. Never did that again! LOL

I think it looks great 😊
Give a week or so and it may all be all that color. Was that a mini drop swirl? I’m so bad at those haha.

Yeah, if it's the ring around the edges you are talking about, beveling it won't help, and will just make your soaps smaller. The whole bar will eventually become that color due to the discoloring agent present in the FO.

I think it looks great 😊
Give a week or so and it may all be all that color. Was that a mini drop swirl? I’m so bad at those haha.
I did that by pouring mostly white for the bar, and using brown batter in one squeeze bottle and gold in another. Squeeze the bottle pretty firmly to penetrate the white. and go back and forth down the length of the mold, saving a bit for the top to swirl with a skewer.

I learned that from a tutorial that i followed for another bar i made, but for the life of me i cant remember whos tutorial it was. I looked for it the other night to review it before i made this one, but cant find it

I just checked on my bars and you guys were right, its almost all the same color now.

Wish there was some way to make a dark rind like that stay without discoloring the whole bar.
I know, i really like that one lol.

Back