I'm such a moron!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Only a moron would master batch a new untried recipe, right? I wanted to switch from sweet almond to rice bran as the liquid oil in my body butter. Figured the changes to the end product would be pretty predictable. And they are, to a certain extent. It's less greasy, absorbs better, silkier- exactly as expected. With one tiny little exception- my melt point seems to have gone down 5-10 degrees. Kitten Love??? So... I've got 10 gallons of this. Hoping adding some Shea will fix it up. I feel SO stupid!

There is a moron in all of us

I can't say for sure if the shea will fix your batch, but don't feel too bad. Each of us in turn play the part of a moron at some point. Whether it be making a batch of soap or sending a flaming email to the wrong person (yep, I've done that).

mistakes are like smart pills. Once you make one you get just a little smarter.

Cheers
Willy

My "facepalm" moment was when I was making some soap with Blueberry Fragrance Oil. Decided it should be blue. Mixed in the blue mica... <facepalm> my recipe is 40% olive oil. Blue and yellow make green! :)

If you remember the proportions of each oil, you have a nice amount of soaping oil ready at least. Is it always hot where you live? In NY, the melting point would not be a problem in the next few weeks.

My "facepalm" moment was when I was making some soap with Blueberry Fragrance Oil. Decided it should be blue. Mixed in the blue mica... <facepalm> my recipe is 40% olive oil. Blue and yellow make green! :)

I laughed so hard just now. I really hope I didn't wake my daughter.

I can't say for sure if the shea will fix your batch, but don't feel too bad. Each of us in turn play the part of a moron at some point. Whether it be making a batch of soap or sending a flaming email to the wrong person (yep, I've done that).

mistakes are like smart pills. Once you make one you get just a little smarter.

Cheers
Willy

Indeed! We have a thread called "What soapy mistake have you made today?" to share our oopsies to show that we are all human, and no matter how long we have been soaping, we still make mistakes.

Adding about a cup of high melt Shea per gallon of base seems to fix it up. (I work by weight when I masterbatch, but I'm bad and eyeball it for all my final additives). It's at least an easy enough fix, and the new recipe is really nice. Gotta say- if you haven't worked with rice bran oil before, give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back