I'm Making Soap Today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEASoapWorks

Reaction score
Hallelujah.gif

Okay, soap veterans: Pray my strength in the Lord! :D
If you hear the sound of fire engines, dogs barking and babies crying, it MAY be due to the strange sounds/smells coming from my kitchen window!

Naw. Seriously, this is going to be SO much fun! I measured out all my oils/butters (except the coconut oil) and the lye, last nite. I'll measure out my coconut oil and water this morning. Lye water will be mixed outside.

My recipe is one I made up, with the guidance of SoapCalc. SoapmakerMan came in and tweaked some of the oil amts, and it was good to go. Thanks Paul!

My Recipe:

2.56 oz Sweet Almond Oil
2.56 oz Apricot Kernel Oil
8 oz Olive Pomace Oil
2.24 oz Mango Butter
5.44 oz Coconut Oil 76
6.4 oz Palm Oil
4.8 oz Palm Kernel Oil

4.61 oz Lye
12.16 oz Water

5% Superfat

"Fig Lychee" FO added (.7 ounces per pound of oils). Of course I'm using a GENUINE TOG Soap Mold, to hold my soap batter. After my books, it was the first soapmaking tool I purchased.

I'll be back tomorrow, with pics! Stay tuned... :D

Good luck! If you pay attention it should go real well. It is addictive though. I made my first batch last Saturday and have made 5 batches since then. Now I just need to find out what to do with 100+ bars of soap?

I Did It!

Well, I DID It! I'm already hooked. :D

A Few Notes:
Lye water mixing is no big deal, if you keep it safe. I made sure my water was cold, mixed outside, was totally outfitted up in goggles, a mask and neoprene gloves. Didn't feel/smell a thing! I used a Frigoverre glass pitcher (received as a gift, to encourage my soapmaking), and a stainless steel wire wisk. FABULOUS! The pitcher pours perfectly, with no dripping.

Lye Mixing Tools:
LyeMixingTools2.jpg

Recipe Notes: This soap batter traced VERY quickly, with a stick blender. It took less than 10 minutes. I let it get a little thick, to avoid leaking. BUT after I added my FO (which totally seemed to lose its smell in the batter), I hit it with the stick blender for a few seconds, and THEN realized I didn't have my LADLE!! I had to run to the upstairs kitchen, grab the ladle and get back downstairs. I was able to get it in the mold, but as I got closer to the top, the batter was at heavy trace, so it looks a little "gloppy" at the top. Oh well! I still LOVE it!!

My soap in my TOG!
SoapInMold2.jpg

Took a peek at the soap, after about an hour. PERFECT gel! It was all thru the soap, even to the very edges. Phew! Well, so far so good. We'll cut in 24 hours, and I'll post pics of the bars! :D

Most VALUABLE lesson I learned, during ALL my research: Measure out your ingredients and have everything prepared, the nite before. I can not TELL you how smooth it went (even with me forgetting the ladle), because I had done so much, the nite before. I just followed my list, and it all came together.

Yes!

smellitlikeitis said:
SHE MADE SOAP! F I N A L L Y !!! IM DOIN THE CABBAGE PATCH! YES! AND IT LOOKS GOOD!

Girl, I'm...high! It was AWESOME! The whole thing. I'll refrain from saying TOO much more, until the final test comes — tomorrow, when I see the soap out of gel phase and ready to cut. When I try it out, I know I will faint, from the excitement of seeing SUDS and BUBBLES — unless I don't see any...suds and bubbles. :( Boo hoo!

LOL!

:evil: I need money. I have to get more OILS and BUTTERS! I sound like a crackhead, don't I? :lol:

Re: Yes!

NEASoapWorks said:
smellitlikeitis said:
SHE MADE SOAP! F I N A L L Y !!! IM DOIN THE CABBAGE PATCH! YES! AND IT LOOKS GOOD!

Girl, I'm...high! It was AWESOME! The whole thing. I'll refrain from saying TOO much more, until the final test comes — tomorrow, when I see the soap out of gel phase and ready to cut. When I try it out, I know I will faint, from the excitement of seeing SUDS and BUBBLES — unless I don't see any...suds and bubbles. :( Boo hoo!

LOL!

:evil: I need money. I have to get more OILS and BUTTERS! I sound like a crackhead, don't I? :lol:

You have been assimilitated.. lol Too late to run for your life now :wink:

Latest posts

Back