I'm getting ready!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChCkBzk

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been playing with melt and pour soaps for a few months now to see if I was going to like it (gee, guess what everyone I know is getting for Christmas???) and I've been reading all about making what I have termed "real" soap for about a month. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge, but I'm getting closer! :)

I think by the first of the year I'll be ready to go. Gee, wonder what everybody is getting next Christmas? haha

ChCkBzk said:
Hello all!

I have been playing with melt and pour soaps for a few months now to see if I was going to like it (gee, guess what everyone I know is getting for Christmas???) and I've been reading all about making what I have termed "real" soap for about a month. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge, but I'm getting closer! :)

I think by the first of the year I'll be ready to go. Gee, wonder what everybody is getting next Christmas? haha

Hi, and welcome to our little, but fast growing family of soap fanatics! :D Soaping is fun and rewarding! 8) What type soap are you calling "real" soap? :?
We have members here who only make M&P and members like myself, who only make CP soap and members here who make both. We are a diversified soap community. :D

Paul.... :) :wink:

I think I'm a "both" girl (well....soon to be both!)

I call lye soap "real" soap because I can "really" burn my hand off. I hope that never happens, but it's my bizarre, quirky way of explaining things to myself. :wink: I've been all about some M&P though! I've just got to figure out what to do with my ever growing pile of soap! It's my grad school stress reliever! :eek:

The term "real" is a sensitive word here & on any soap forum. You are new to this so I am sure you did not know. There is an age old arguement that ALWAYS leads to hurt feelings. It starts out with a CP soap maker or 2 takeing the stand that M&P is not real soap & it does not qualify for the title handmade. Then the big fight breaks out about synthetic ingredients & who is better than whom & so on & so forth. People always get their feeling hurt & it just aint pretty :wink: . I am sure that is not what you had in mind when you used the term real so there is no harm. We as mods just try to nip that in the butt before a bar room brawl gets under way.

...and just so you are armed with the proper information...

Soap is defines as a cleaning agent made of saponified oils and lye.

Most M&P is not made w/ lye so it is by definition a synthetic detergent.

M&P is socially called soap though it does not fit websters definition of soap.

I am told SFIC has a M&P that does qualify as soap made from saphonified oils & lye but I have not used it myself.

I have made both and don't excel at either-LOL!

Great job :) Tab of explaining that here we are all "real" soap makers and don't claim any one is better or inferior than the other! 8)
And, just to let everyone know, :D you make great soap and a fantastic scrub too! This girl has it going on let me tell you! 8)

Tab and Dragon are the 2 great M&P soap makers here as well as others who do both M&P and CP. :)

Like I said, we have all the bases covered here at The SMF! :D

Paul.... : :wink:

Back